Columbus 4th of July Parade WI  » Entertainment  »
1.5
Columbus WI
  • Independence Day is coming up next Friday and I know several of my friends and co-workers are planning on making the trip to Columbus, WI for the annual 4th of July Parade
  • As for my daughter, I think the main reason she doesn't enjoy the parade is, they through out candy but she can never get any of it

• by Steve

Independence Day is coming up next Friday and I know several of my friends and co-workers are planning on making the trip to Columbus, WI for the annual 4th of July Parade. I won’t be attending it with them. Years ago, the parade was something we all looked forward to. There were tons of floats, plenty of candy to go around and it was a great time for everyone. Now, as I’ve grown, I’ve come to realize it just isn’t as good anymore. I made the attempt to attend the parade the past two years, mostly because we have our daughter and we thought that, even if we didn’t enjoy it, she would.

Turns out she gets bored with it just as quickly as we do. I mean, how many antique tractors and cars can you look at? Oh, there’s a fire truck; and another one. Talk about dull. You do still have the occasional float come through the parade. But, outside of those actually designed by some sort of after school group or non-profit organization, most of the floats

are moving advertisements.

In fact, last year, one company didn’t even bother making a float. They just drove their company van in the parade. You think they would have at least added some balloons or something. Normally, the overwhelming advertising wouldn’t bother me. But, I’m a huge believer in Independence Day, the history behind it and what it means.

So, seeing stuff like that and no mention of the sacrifices made or what it means to be an American really is insulting to me. It also doesn’t help that many companies don’t even bother being in the parade, they just walk through the crowd handing out flyers. As for my daughter, I think the main reason she doesn’t enjoy the parade is, they through out candy but she can never get any of it. People look for familiar faces in the crowd and throw it in that direction and completely ignore her; something that is just wrong. I hear they are supposed to be handing the candy out now rather than throwing it.

I think that’ll just make things worse.

• Personally, I think the fun left the parade a couple years ago when the city banned the water fights that used to take place between the fire trucks, floats and the people watching the parade. Most of us enjoyed those. But, you have one or two who complained and that minority was enough to overrule the majority. Of course, the worst part of the event ironically doesn’t have much to do with the parade itself.

You have literally thousands of people coming to the parade each year. But, if you don’t live in the city or know someone who does, good luck finding a place to sit for it. Not only do you have people setting up chairs literally days before the event; some people are rude enough to actually rope off giant chunks of property on the parade route only to use a small amount of it for a blanket or a couple lawn chairs. Last year, we walked up and down that route and saw some small spots we thought we could squeeze into only to be rebuffed

by the people sitting there (as though us sitting behind them with our daughter was a big deal). When we did finally find a spot (in a gas station parking lot) some of the adults in the front didn’t even have enough decency to let our daughter have a spot to sit; so she could see what was happening or maybe grab a piece of candy or two.

I hate to say it because I’m supposed to love my neighbors. But, I honestly think the citizens of Columbus are the reason I’ve grown to actually hate the annual parade. And, they should be ashamed of themselves for it. It’s OK to set up a chair or two ahead of time. But, there should be a strict restriction about when that starts (say, 6 a.

m. the morning of the parade) and people shouldn’t be allowed to reserve areas by roping them off. It’s too bad that an event that has so many fond memories for me has become a joke. It’s nothing more than a moving billboard ad for a bunch of inconsiderate residents. I don’t think I’ll be attending it again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592107409611231/k2311a0721/7.21.08