Applebees WI  » Restaurants  »
2.5
Beaver Dam, WI
  • We've been in there a couple of times before and, every time, we've been seriously disappointed in the service
  • On past occasions, we found ourselves sitting there for up to an hour waiting to be served and I think we had our food in about 15 minutes
  • The service was definitely better and we didn't have to wait for our food forever

• by Steve

It’s been nearly a year since we’ve had a night when we’ve had both the time and money to dine out at Applebees. So, when I got an opportunity to on Monday I figured I would give it a try. I will admit, when I picked Applebees, it really wasn’t my first choice. We’ve been in there a couple of times before and, every time, we’ve been seriously disappointed in the service.

The food is great, but it always seemed to take forever to get served in there. The only reason I ended up picking the restaurant was the first two choices turned out not to be open on Mondays and the third one was just way too expensive for what we have in our budget right now. Since we were going on a Monday night rather than the weekend and, because

of that, there would be less people, I figured the service might be better.

I was wrong. We were seated immediately and our waitress took our drink order right away. However, we were sitting there for about 10-15 minutes before she came back to ask us if we had picked what we wanted.

However, I will admit the food did get there a bit faster than I’m used to it doing. On past occasions, we found ourselves sitting there for up to an hour waiting to be served and I think we had our food in about 15 minutes. And, I will say our waitress was friendly.

However, I kind of have a feeling she just started there because she didn’t seem to know the menu items too well and, overall, seemed a bit overwhelmed. We had to ask her for a ...

• box for our food three times because she kept coming over to our table and forgetting all about it. I won’t complain about the food itself.

It was well-prepared and there was more than enough (we both had leftovers for lunch the next day). However, I have to say I really don’t like the restaurant’s menus. The reason I say that is, the main reason we went in there was, according to the Web site, they offered the three course classics; where we could get an appetizer, the meal and dessert for one price.

However, when we got there, we couldn’t find it in their menu, just the lunch one (that didn’t look appetizing at that moment). After ordering our food, assuming they didn’t offer the three course classic in dinner form, I discovered it. It was on the back of an

insert that we took out of our menus almost immediately because it looked like a kids menu.

Of course, by that time, it was too late to change our order. Overall, compared to other times I’ve dined at Applebees, this time wasn’t overly bad. The service was definitely better and we didn’t have to wait for our food forever.

But, compared to other dining establishments around town, I have to say I still wouldn’t rank it among my favorites. This is too bad too because Applebees used to be my favorite when we’ve lived elsewhere. In fact, if you’re visting Beaver Dam and were to ask me about a good place to eat, I think I would suggest several other restaurants before this one.

The food is great but the service still manages to take some of the overall value away and it isn’t quite worth the price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72107408931031/k2311a0721/7.21.08