Y’All Come Eat Now by the Deen Brothers  » Books  »
  • I was a little disappointed to find that Paula wrote the forward and was once again signing Jamie's praises
  • I also noticed that Jamie tells a lot of personal stories regarding his recipes and memories that he had from his childhood, but Bobby kind of takes a backseat in all of that

• by udgirl

I have long been a fan of the Deen brothers, the two sons of Food Network star Paula Deen. My mom is a big fan of Paula and I used to watch her two sons when they appeared on one of her many shows. Then they were given a show of their own, which I also watch regularly. When they released a cookbook based on that show, I picked it up immediately. Then recently they released another cookbook and this one is more about them and their lives than any television show so I grabbed that one also.

Y’all Come Eat is all about Jamie and Bobby Deen and how they cook for their family and friends. Jamie is married with a baby, while Bobby is a bachelor who cooks for his lady friends and guy friends. I actually like Bobby a little more than Jamie, but that might be because Paula seems to talk more about Jamie and his son and wife than she does her other son. Sometimes it makes me wonder if she even remembers that she has a second son. I grabbed this book eager to see Bobby’s take on cooking and get some of his recipes to try for myself.

I was a little disappointed to find that Paula wrote the forward and

was once again signing Jamie’s praises. She points out in the opening that Bobby is a single guy who doesn’t do a lot of cooking, then writes more than a fully paragraph about how much she loves Jamie’s little boy and can’t wait to start cooking for him once he gets a little bigger. It makes me feel really bad for Bobby and wonder if he ever gets sick of it. Then again he might like the fact that she doesn’t show up at his door unannounced like I’m sure she does with Jamie!

Once I started to get into the book I found myself feeling even a little more disappointed. I was hoping to see a little more recipes and stories from Bobby’s perspective, but this was more about Jamie. He writes a chapter about barbeque, one on tailgating, and even one on cooking with his wife and his wife cooking for him. Bobby gets a chapter on cooking for friends and one on cooking for a special girlfriend, but that’s about it.

I also noticed that Jamie tells a lot of personal stories regarding his recipes and memories that he had from his childhood, but Bobby kind of takes a backseat in all of that. I’m sure Jamie is a nice guy, but when I buy a ...

• book written by the Deen brothers/boys, I expect to get stories from everyone involved and not one person in particular.

I was also disappointed that they didn’t include pictures of all the dishes in the book. Granted many of the recipes have a picture attached, but some of the dishes I was interested in trying weren’t represented. At the same time I didn’t get a story for all the recipes, which made me wonder why they were even included. It’s a fairly good book, but it wasn’t what I was expecting.

ParagraphDivider

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172107408080931/k2311a0721/7.21.08