The Nuvaring Birth Control  » Medicine  »
  • When I decided to choose a birth control method, I was at first drawn to the Pill
  • My doctor recommended the Nuvaring and I thought it sounded like a good option
  • It's very convenient to use, and though I originally worried that it might make sex uncomfortable for my partner, he reports that he can't feel it at all
  • It's not difficult to insert, though I recommend using both hands to keep the thing from flying across the room (yes, you read that right)

• by Lauren Vork

When I decided to choose a birth control method, I was at first drawn to the Pill. However, I was immediately put off by the margin for error in its use: miss a few days, it might not work. Take them at the wrong time of day, they might not work. Confuse the real pills and the placebos…you get the picture.

My doctor recommended the Nuvaring and I thought it sounded like a good option. The Nuvaring is a flexible ring that’s inserted in the vagina for three weeks at a time and releases

birth control hormones when triggered by body heat. You have to remember to insert and remove it on the right days (which is more difficult than you’d think if you don’t mark your calendar!), but that’s it.

I’ve been using this ingenious little thing for about six months, now, and overall I’m quite happy with it. It’s very convenient to use, and though I originally worried that it might make sex uncomfortable for my partner, he reports that he can’t feel it at all. However, for anyone who is bothered by it, the ring can be ...

• safely removed for a couple of hours at a time. It’s not difficult to insert, though I recommend using both hands to keep the thing from flying across the room (yes, you read that right).

As with all hormonal birth control, certain negative side effects present for some women. If traditional birth control pills have caused problems for you in the past, these probably will as well. Personally, I have experienced what I understand are standard side effects: some weight gain and breast enlargement (my breasts were very tender during the first couple weeks and

occasionally, but these didn’t last) and some vaginal dryness. The dryness always seems to be worst at the beginning of the three week’s use, then it dissipates the closer it gets to the end of use. I have read that the Nuvaring loses some of its effectiveness at this time as well (that’s worrying!), so I decided to regularly use a spermicidal lubricant to combat the dryness and as a backup contraceptive.

Unused rings need to be kept refrigerated in order to stay potent. This may be less than convenient for those sharing a communal fridge!

Big Ethel says :

If I run out of Nuvarings, may I substitute an Onion Ring or other possible forms of rings for it??

Shannon R says :

Oh my goodness I am hoping that you are joking. An onion ring as in food? You cannot use an onion ring as a replacement for the nuvaring which is a birth control method You will get an infection as well as pregnant.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262007407161031/k2311a0720/7.20.08