Melatonin
  • When I have a hard time falling asleep or I know I have been drinking too much caffeine during the day I hate having to take medication to help me fall asleep at night
  • The first thing I noticed was you do not instantly fall asleep or feel like you have been heavily drugged when it begins to take affect

• by Taface

When I have a hard time falling asleep or I know I have been drinking too much caffeine during the day I hate having to take medication to help me fall asleep at night. But there is one Over the Counter medicine that a co-worker, a Nurse, suggested to me. She

told me about Melatonin. It is a natural sleep aid that your body produces and this OTC medicine supplements it to help you go to sleep naturally.

Unlike other OTC medicines like Tylenol PM where I always woke up feeling groggy and dry mouth this one is absolutely wonderful. The first thing I noticed was you do not instantly fall asleep or feel like you have been heavily drugged when it begins to take affect. I still would not suggest driving or doing any type of strenuous or heavy thinking after taking this medicine, but it eases you into sleep. Unlike ...

• Melatonin
      the others where you feel like a Mack truck has hit you.

Another plus is I woke up naturally and well rested. It is used for people who have jet lag and it can help people who have migraines. Another plus is it is listed as an anti-aging drug and who would

be upset by that? It is the OTC medicine I turn to every time I know I have to get a good night’s rest or if I cannot sleep. It comes in a variety of doses so start with the lowest one first. I use the 3 mg and it works fine.

Melatonin
Gloria says :

hi, I`ve tried melatonin for my insomnia for a few days and I started to get this strange side effect. I`ve been waking up hours earlier than the time I usually get up and the most strangest thing is that I always get up at 3-4 am for 5 nights in a row which is very abnormal for me. I`m a 14 year old and I take 2mg of melatonin at 10 30 and go to bed at 11. Sure, it helps me get to sleep fast in 20 minutes but its making me get up much too early. I`ve now quit taking melatonin and I`m not waking up at that time anymore. I wonder why I have this side effect?

Joanna says :

Hi,

It is likely due in part to your age. Also, melatonin relaxes the brain and improves sleep quality. Your body may have adjusted itself into a new pattern where it was getting much deeper and better quality rest in a shorter amount of time. My sister had the same problem and that is the explanation (in short) that the doctor gave her.

However, be sure to always consult a physician before taking any similar medication.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261707405851231/k2311a0717/7.17.08