Volver movie  » Movies  »
  • Weird, I know, but I love the feel of them and the sense that you are truly experiencing another culture through film

• by sampriestley

I love foreign films. I especially love foreign language films with subtitles.

Weird, I know, but I love the feel of them and the sense that you are truly experiencing another culture through film.

So, when I started watching Volver I had very high hopes.

It’s obvious from the onset that Penelope Cruz is comfortable and at ease acting in this film.

She appears completely different in this to those performances in Hollywood films, seeming both relaxed and sophisticated in her role as the eldest

sister of two orphaned siblings with secrets and lies all around them.

The film lays down its mystery well, giving titbits as it unfolds as to the slightly shady death of Cruz’s parents, not to mention the aunt who has gone crazy in her old age, and Cruz’s own marriage, which sees her wed to a creepy waster who leers at and, eventually attempts to abuse Cruz’s daughter.

It’s a complicated story line and you have to watch carefully to make sure you are keeping ...

• up.

But it’s worth it.

The strands are brought together beautifully with the ‘now’ storyline mirroring Cruz’s own past and forcing her into desperate acts of survival.

When the dead mother turns up apparently alive and the revelations begin to come out, the sense of this Spanish community, moving between Madrid and an un-named village, being interwoven and quirky is just what I was hoping for.

The only criticism I have is the ending.

I get that we are supposed to be left to make

up our own minds about the mother is she a ghost? Is she just a mother returned from hiding because of the things she did years ago? but I do hate it when a film ends and I am on the edge of my seat waiting for a conclusion that never comes.

It just didn’t seem to end satisfactorily to me.

However, that aside, I did enjoy this film and would urge anyone with a love of foreign film to watch it.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111707405621131/k2311a0717/7.17.08