Prune Fig Trees  » Housewares  »
  • I decided to follow the accepted rules of pruning for fruit trees by first removing the dead and sickly branches
  • I bought a special pruning paste to cover the places that I had cut - to protect them from boring insects and possible diseases

• by Birks

My yard is small and we have two fig trees growing prolifically in this small yard. These trees have become so large that they are intruding into the neighbor’s yards and so it has become necessary to prune them.

I was told by my friends and some experts that it is not wise to prune fig trees.

It has also become very difficult to pick the fruit when the trees are so

large and tall.

I decided to follow the accepted rules of pruning for fruit trees by first removing the dead and sickly branches.

Then I proceeded to cut the branches back from a third to a half of the length of the branch.

I then removed branches that were too low, I wanted them to be at least 6 feet off the ground so that I would not bump my ...

• head on these when walking under them.

I used pruning shears, also special pruning loppers for the larger branches and a pruning saw for the very large branches.

I bought a special pruning paste to cover the places that I had cut - to protect them from boring insects and possible diseases.

This particular brand is a bright pink, so my bare fig tree is dotted with pink spots! I did

this pruning last year and the crop this year was a bumper crop, I had so much that I could give basket loads to friends and neighbors.

We made fig jam, fig preserve which has become a favorite with my friends.

Contrary to some of the advice of my friends, this has been a very successful venture and I am about to do the pruning for the new crop later this year.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531707405611131/k2311a0717/7.17.08