Philips Satinelle Soft Epilator
  • I chose the Philips brand as I have enjoyed using Philips products before, and this particular model, because at £39.99 it was towards the lower end of the price range, it has a pivotal massage system which is supposed to reduce pain, and a special cap for extra sensitive areas
  • I would recommend always using the faster one as fast is more comfortable where hair-removal is concerned
  • I was quite impressed that it removed even the shortest hairs, as the same can't be said for waxing
  • I found that under my arms and more sensitive areas were more painful to epilate, although not unbearable
  • Everyone's pain threshold is different, but in my opinion it's not overly painful, especially if you've already tried waxing

• by Daisy2000

Fed up with shaving my legs so frequently I purchased the Philips Satinelle Soft Epilator. I had heard about epilators before; they look quite similar to electric shavers, but have a rotating head of little metal discs which open and close rather like tweezers, to quickly pluck out the hairs. Although I knew that it was supposed to be a painful process, I reasoned that it probably wouldn’t be any more painful than waxing.

which is supposed to reduce pain, and a special cap for extra sensitive areas.

When I opened it and saw that the pivotal massage system was a row of small plastic beads I was a bit dubious about whether it could really have an affect on the pain, however I was keen to try it.

It makes a buzzing sound like an electric shaver, which was a bit unnerving at first. However, epilating my legs was only a little painful, and the beads do seem to make a difference as they massage the area before epilation takes place. I had expected it to feel similar to plucking out each hair, but ...

• it wasn’t nearly as bad as that as it’s so fast. There are two settings, a slower one and a faster one; I would recommend always using the faster one as fast is more comfortable where hair-removal is concerned! I was quite impressed that it removed even the shortest hairs, as the same can’t be said for waxing.

I found that under my arms and more sensitive areas were more painful to epilate, although not unbearable. And it’s highly recommended to only epilate hair that’s 1cm (0.4 inches) or less, otherwise the hair can get tangled and it’s possible that you might hurt yourself. It’s advisable to

trim longer hair to that length or shave it and then wait for it to re-grow a little.

The results for me are always good; the areas I epilate stay hair-free for a good few weeks and so I don’t need to think about shaving. On the downside I do find that I do have some ingrowing hairs, although I think this is probably also a problem with waxing.

Overall I would definitely recommend this product. It’s a quick and easy way to remove unwanted hair and it gives good, lasting results. Everyone’s pain threshold is different, but in my opinion it’s not overly painful, especially if you’ve already tried waxing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161607404930731/k2311a0716/7.16.08