King’s Court Campground at Tropic Reservoir  » Travel  »
1.5
Campground at Tropic Reservoir near Bryce Canyon in southern Utah
  • During a recent trip in southern Utah I was impressed by Tropic Reservoir
  • I thought I would get in a little relaxation and reading
  • The campground was convenient because it has relatively clean restrooms with running water
  • However, the constant barrage of engines passing through the campgrounds was definitely not conducive to a pleasant, peaceful camping experience
  • Rather than going to the King's Court Campground, I would recommend going to one of several designated campsites near the reservoir that are not within the main campgrounds

• by Kent Douglass

During a recent trip in southern Utah I was impressed by Tropic Reservoir. However, I was not happy with the King’s Court Campground by the reservoir where we stayed.

The campground has an oval loop roadway throughout, and some people turned their 10 year old kids loose on ATVs and motorcycles. The kids must have received instructions not to go out of sight of their camp, so they traveled in circles round and round and round the campsite.

Everyone in my group decided to go fishing one day, and I told them I would stay at the campsite. I thought I would get in

a little relaxation and reading. However, I sat there for three hours watching the same ATVs and motorcycles drive in circles through the campgrounds without break. I get less traffic by my house than I did at the campground, so I could have gotten more reading done at home on my front porch where it is much more quiet than the campground.

It was also difficult to sleep because there were groups of people sitting around campfires throughout most of the night. Their voices and laughter made it difficult to sleep. In addition to the steady barrage of ATV and motorcycle engines, there ...

• was a crusty old campground host who also rode around everywhere on his ATV disturbing the campers almost as much as the kids on ATVs. He seemed to be trying to talk one member of our group into giving up his campsite because another camper had a friend who wanted to move into the site. The campground host showed up every day at the site to ask when the member of our party was going to leave, and he received the same answer each day. We wondered if the host thought the answer would change from one day to the next.

The campground was

convenient because it has relatively clean restrooms with running water. There were also several taps for getting drinking water. However, the constant barrage of engines passing through the campgrounds was definitely not conducive to a pleasant, peaceful camping experience. Rather than going to the King’s Court Campground, I would recommend going to one of several designated campsites near the reservoir that are not within the main campgrounds. The designated sites do not have the restrooms or running water, but they are much more peaceful and pleasant. The designated sites, however, would make it less convenient for dumping gray and black water from a travel trailer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381507404701031/k2311a0715/7.15.08