Tropic Reservoir
Near Bryce Canyon in Utah
  • Tropic Reservoir may be one of the best kept secrets in southern Utah
  • What made this especially amazing was that we stayed at the King's Creek Campground which was full of campers

• by Kent Douglass

Tropic Reservoir may be one of the best kept secrets in southern Utah. I have only been there a few times, but I have never seen it overly crowded with people fishing. If my recent visit was any indication, visitors may have trouble finding a less crowded public area for fishing.

I visited Tropic Reservoir from July 8 to July 11, 2008. I was surprised at how few people were fishing. I did not have a current fishing

license, so I did not fish. However, I went onto the lake with my son in his canoe, and he had regular hits on his line. I am sure that he could have caught his limit within two hours. He did not keep all of the fish, although he did keep a few of the larger ones. Most of the fish he threw back, but there was never a long period without hits on his lure. There ...

• did not seem to be an overabundance of large fish, but there were a few. Most of the ones my son threw back were about eight inches.

The fish in the reservoir are supposed to be cutthroat trout and rainbow trout. However, the only ones I saw were rainbows.

During our first day at the reservoir, our canoe and one rubber raft were the only two boats on the water. I also only saw three people fishing from the

shore. What made this especially amazing was that we stayed at the King’s Creek Campground which was full of campers. I expected most of the campers to be at the reservoir fishing, but it seems that most of them brought All Terrain Vehicles and they apparently spent a good portion of the days riding the ATVs rather than fishing. Indeed, the constant roar of ATVs passing through the campground was the most disturbing part of the trip.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 121507404691031/k2311a0715/7.15.08