The Longest Yard Movie  » Movies  »
  • When the movie was on television though, I found myself watching it instead of doing any of the 400 other things I had to do
  • I think my biggest problem had to be in believing that Sandler was a professional football player
  • I'm sorry, but I know he's a funny guy and this is just a movie, but he would end up crippled for life if he ever played in a professional football game and the other players would just run right over him
  • I noticed that they used a couple of former wrestlers including Bill Goldberg and Stone Cold Steve Austin
  • I thought it was funny and light, but there were a few times that made me tear up slightly

• by udgirl

The Longest Yard was a movie that I had absolutely no desire to see for the longest time, no pun intended. I have to say that I’ve never really been a big fan of Adam Sandler. There are times when potty humor can be funny and times when stupid people being funny is good, but he seems to combine all of those qualities into one person. I’ve seen most of his movies, but there have only been a few that I really liked. It didn’t help that most of the actors in this movie are people that I don’t really care for or like, with the possible exception of Chris Rock. When the movie was on television though, I found myself watching it instead of doing any of the 400 other things I had to do.

Sandler plays a former professional football player who is sent to prison when he’s caught illegally betting on his own team. He was also tossed from his team for betting and he hasn’t played football in years. The warden at the prison makes him a deal and he has to use inmates at the prison to make his team. I

think my biggest problem had to be in believing that Sandler was a professional football player. I’m sorry, but I know he’s a funny guy and this is just a movie, but he would end up crippled for life if he ever played in a professional football game and the other players would just run right over him.

I really liked the other cast members though. I noticed that they used a couple of former wrestlers including Bill Goldberg and Stone Cold Steve Austin. Both of them were pretty good at acting though I had to wonder how much acting they actually did. In the case of Steve Austin he was playing a real mean guy who basically kicked a lot of butt and treated the inmates badly. It was very similar to the roles he’s played in other movies not to mention the character he portrayed in wrestling.

I also found myself really drawn to Burt Reynolds who in the past I haven’t liked very much. He was in the original movie and was the only actor to come back for the remake. This time he plays the hardened convict with a heart of gold ...

• who helps Sandler and the other characters come together. It kind of made me wonder if he thought it was nice that they gave him a part in the movie or if he was a little ticked off that he had to play the old guy.

The movie was pretty funny in ways that I wasn’t expecting. I didn’t think I’d be laughing out loud for most of the movie, but that was exactly what happened. I thought it was funny and light, but there were a few times that made me tear up slightly. The funeral scene in particular tugged at my heart strings. This is a movie that I won’t be forgetting anytime soon.

ParagraphDivider

The Longest Yard Movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111307402970831/k2311a0713/7.13.08