P.S. I love You  » Movies  »
2.0
  • I Love You, I expected it to be a tear jerker
  • What I found was, not only did it not move us to tears, we had a hard time keeping our eyes open
  • I'm really not sure I enjoyed how the movie was executed
  • What really got me though, I think is the characters in this movie and their reaction to the husband's death
  • But, I have to say this was one of the dumbest romantic movies I've seen and I can't, in good conscience recommend it to anyone

• by Steve

When I picked up the movie P. S. I Love You, I expected it to be a tear jerker. What I found was, not only did it not move us to tears, we had a hard time keeping our eyes open.

While I loved the concept behind it, a man dies of a brain tumor and leaves behind a bunch of mysterious letters and clues to help his wife recover from her loss; I’m really not sure I enjoyed how the movie was executed. First of all, I never bought into Hillary Swank being the depressed widow. You rarely see tears from her in the movie; something you think would happen if your spouse you supposedly were hopelessly in love with suddenly died.

They did have a long-drawn out scene where she wore all his clothes and did pretty much nothing around the house for weeks. But, I have to be honest, I found myself laughing

at her more than I felt sorry for her because it was a bit over the top for my tastes. What really got me though, I think is the characters in this movie and their reaction to the husband’s death.

First of all, not only is her best friend trying to pick up guys at his funeral; you have the bartender hitting on the widow. Hey, did anyone ever here of respect for the dead (though I do confess I liked the party-themed funeral). Then, her loving family cares for the widow so much, they leave her alone for three weeks; finally showing up on her birthday when the adventure her husband set up is beginning.

Did anyone think to check in on her sooner; to make sure she wasn’t going insane. She goes to Ireland and her friends (I think one might have been her sister but I’m not sure) start trying to hook ...

• her up with a guy at the bar there because it’s obviously been a while since she’s had sex. And, the first thing I’m thinking is “her husband just died a few weeks ago.

” The depressing thing about this is she goes along with it. Umm, I’m sorry, but I don’t think your husband bought the plane tickets and planned your trip just so you could sleep around. And, when she discovers the stranger she just slept with happens to know her husband, her reaction isn’t expected one of “oh my god I betrayed him.

” It’s more like “I hope nobody finds out. ” And then she has the nerve to visit her in-laws the very next day. Again, where’s the respect for the dead?

The letters he sent her weren’t too bad because they made a bit of sense.

He makes her do things ranging from getting rid of all his clothes to singing karaoke;

basically trying to get her to move on with her life (but I’m still sure he didn’t want her picking up strangers at the bar). And, you had a small mystery about just how they were getting delivered. My favorite character in all of this was probably Kathy Bates; who played Swank’s mom.

She was so down-to-Earth in this movie, you pretty much had to hate her. She hated the deceased and made no secret of it. And, whenever her daughter asked her something, she gave her so much honesty it had to burn a bit.

But, when you learn the secret she’s carrying at the end of the movie, you can’t help but be impressed with the small twist; even though it really doesn’t make up for a long, drawn out film. I wanted to like this movie, I really did. But, I have to say this was one of the dumbest romantic movies I’ve seen and I can’t, in good conscience recommend it to anyone.

P.S. I love You

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111207401710531/k2311a0712/7.12.08