Jason Taylor  » People  »
2.5
  • While I think Jason Taylor has had a heck of a career, I'm sorry but I would have limited optimism seeing him in Green and Gold
  • Plenty of star players have gone from being the best at their position to just average because injuries finally caught up to them
  • I don't think that was that big of a deal since he's been playing long enough where missing mini-camps probably isn't going to affect his playing ability (in fact resting his body probably will have a much more positive effect)

• by Steve

I read yesterday that my beloved Green Bay Packers are actually considering trading for Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor; though there are a lot of roadblocks that would probably prohibit it. I certainly hope it doesn’t happen. While I think Jason Taylor has had a heck of a career, I’m sorry but I would have limited optimism seeing him in Green and Gold. On one hand, you can look at Taylor’s resume, see the Pro Bowls he’s been to and how he has been the Dolphin’s star on defense for his entire career.

And, I have to admit, a resume like that is

tempting. But, if I were a general manager, I would be looking at two things, his age and his commitment. First, he’s 33.

Yes, that’s only a year older than I am. But, I haven’t spent the past decade slamming into 300-pound offensive linemen or taking chop blocks into my knees. Even with me being slightly overweight I might actually be in better physical shape than his body is; at least when it comes to wear and tear.

That’s not to say he can’t still perform at a high level; he did last season. But, you have to think he’s playing on borrowed time at this point in his career and I have to wonder how much more he’s got left. Plenty of star players have gone from being the best at their position to just average because injuries finally caught up to them.

Then there’s the commitment level. There was a big deal made about him being on Dancing with the Stars and how much his participation in that might have affected his relationship with the Dolphins’ organization. I don’t think that was that big of a deal since he’s been playing long enough where missing mini-camps probably isn’t going to affect his playing ability (in fact ...

• Jason Taylor
      resting his body probably will have a much more positive effect).

However, when a player starts talking about what he wants to do after football, in this case you have a player who wants to take Hollywood by storm, you have to wonder a bit about his commitment to the game. After all, he could start a whole other career, starting with minor movie roles or guest spots on television, make good money and not take a physical beating like he does in football; even though it may mean a slight pay cut. And, after a couple losses, you can’t help but think he

might be thinking about that rather than what he can do to help his team win.

The fact he seems to be leaning toward retirement after 2008 is a good indication of this. I just think he might have lost the passion he once had for the game and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go through the motions in his final season. The Dolphins should be glad to have him, even if it is just for one more year.

But, as far as other teams go, if there’s any interest in trading for Taylor they should forget about it and move on. It’s not worth the draft pick or picks you’re trading.

Jason Taylor

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 521207401160431/k2311a0712/7.12.08