Rules of Engagement  » TV  »
  • I think my problem with the show is your two biggest stars, Warburton and Spade, are playing the same role they've played a million times before

• by Steve

I don’t get a lot of time to watch television so I usually don’t get a chance to check out new shows until they’ve been on the air a while. Last night happened to be one of those nights and I came across the CBS show Rules of Engagement. While I liked the show, I’m not sure if I liked it enough where I would make and effort to tune into it on a regular basis.

For those of you who haven’t seen the show, it stars Patrick Warburton, David Spade, Oliver Hudson, Bianca Kajlich and Megyn Price. From what I can gather from the episode I saw, Hudson and Kajlich play a young

engaged couple while Warburton and Price’s characters have been married a while and Spade plays their single friend.

I will admit, there were some funny moments in the episode I watched. You had the engaged couple experimenting with taping their sexual exploits only to find they were grossed out with what they saw and you had the married couple fighting with each other over something stupid (a woman not saying hi to the wife in the elevator) while Spade’s character was experimenting with text dating.

I think my problem with the show is your two biggest stars, Warburton and Spade, are playing the same role they’ve played a million times before. Warburton (who has ...

• to be the hardest working guy in television between shows like this and his various cartoon voices) plays the same tall, awkward and somewhat slow character he’s played on shows like Seinfeld or in voiceovers on cartoons like The Emperor’s New School (and the movie The Emperor’s New Groove).

And, I’m not sure if this was intentional or if he really just didn’t care, but he seemed to be simply reading his lines; you rarely saw any emotion from him. And Spade’s character is a clone his character on the now-canceled show Just Shoot Me.

He’s a bit geeky, is obsessed with sex and is arrogant to the point where you don’t know whether

to laugh or be annoyed by him. I mean, really, does he have any acting depth?

I honestly don’t see how this show is much different than any other comedy that has been on the air before; shows like Everyone Loves Raymond, Home Improvement or Dharma & Greg.

The premise might be slightly different because you have more than one couple involved. But, I doubt they will be able to come up with many storylines that won’t mimic what has already been done before.

Like I said, I liked the show, it made me laugh and, if I get time, I might watch it again. I just don’t think it’s anything memorable and I’m not going to clear my calendar just to watch it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101207401100431/k2311a0712/7.12.08