Black Sheep 2008 Movie  » Movies  »
2.0
  • That was about two months ago and when I was at my own local Blockbuster, I decided to go ahead and rent it
  • I really wanted to like this movie because I thought it was right up my alley
  • I love horror movies and unlike some purists, I actually like movies that mix a little humor with the horror
  • There were a few scenes that I found interesting, but for the most part I didn't really laugh

• by udgirl

I recently saw the movie Black Sheep and I don’t mean the Chris Farley and David Spade movie from the 1990s, though I’m sure someone will see this one and get confused. This movie is actually yet another horror movie spoof, though this one was better received than a lot of the other horror movie spoofs that have come out lately. I actually saw the box at Blockbuster when some friends and I were looking for bad horror movies that we could watch and make fun of one night. They wouldn’t let me rent it, but when we saw a trailer for it, they suddenly all wanted to see it. That was about two months ago and when I was at my own local Blockbuster, I decided to go ahead and rent it.

The movie follows a group of people in a small town in England, though it might be Ireland they never really said. A local scientist has been experimenting on sheep in the area and some of the mutant sheep turned rogue or went bad. If they said

what they were mixing the sheep DNA with, I completely missed that part though it seems like they must have been mixing them with wolf DNA or something similar. The sheep go on a killing spree, attacking people in town and eating them. There’s another subplot where if you’re bitten by the sheep, but manage to escape, you turn into one of the killer sheep. I’m assuming the budget was pretty small because they actually only showed a few people who were these creatures and everything else was just sheep.

I really wanted to like this movie because I thought it was right up my alley. I love horror movies and unlike some purists, I actually like movies that mix a little humor with the horror. Take for example Shaun of the Dead, which I would rank on my short list of favorite movies. I was hoping Black Sheep would be more along the lines of that one, but instead they just threw in some jokes and things that were supposed to be funny. If this were a television movie,

• I could see a canned laugh track being played in the background to show people where they were supposed to laugh. Personally I thought the writers were trying a little too hard to force jokes down our throat so we would think things were funny when they weren’t. There were a few scenes that I found interesting, but for the most part I didn’t really laugh.

I thought the special effects in this movie were absolutely terrible. One scene in particular looked like it was ripped right out of An American Werewolf in London. Maybe they were trying to make an homage, but it looked completely ridiculous. Maybe if the movie were made twenty years ago, the special effects would look spot on, but in 2008 I thought they looked really horrible. I actually came close to buying this movie because I was convinced that I’d like it. Now I’m glad I only rented it.

ParagraphDivider

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111207400870331/k2311a0712/7.12.08