FlatOut: head on  » Games  »
2.5
  • To my horror, I was utterly disappointed on how the game turned out to be
  • You just have to create some wreckage and avoid getting wrecked at the same time
  • As this is already the main attraction of the game, you should definitely spend more time having fun on this mode
  • To conclude, I do admit I love the fun of destroying other objects in FlatOut

• by BARRY

FlatOut was one of the late releases that felt like a cheap replica of the Burnout series on the Playstation Portable(PSP). I played the first version of FlatOut on the PSP. To my horror, I was utterly disappointed on how the game turned out to be. But I was not very disappointed by the release of the second one, “FlatOut:Head on”.

FlatOut:Head On was released somewhere in April 2008. To be honest, I never expected much out of this game because of what happened in the previous one.

This series had a wide variety of race modes, like the Carnage mode and the Flatout mode as the 2 central core ones. Some of the races don’t actually require you to either get a gold or silver in races,

like many traditional racing games out there. You just have to create some wreckage and avoid getting wrecked at the same time. These factors might be slightly different from the burnout series as you all know, nevertheless, it’s still worth the try to play this game though.

The central of attraction for this game is actually the stunt mode. The whole concept of this mode is to run along a stretch of road, build up some speed, and eventually throw your driver out of his seat onto some bowling pins. There are many mini games available in this section. As this is already the main attraction of the game, you should definitely spend more time having fun on this mode.

The only good point I could think of ...

• in this game, like what other reviews have mentioned, is the significance of this game to “Destruction Derby” released on the Playstation 1 almost a decade ago. The amount of destruction presented in this game is good enough to keep you going for more.

The bad points of the game however, are that the controls on this game can be really stiff and hard, which really gives a sluggish approach to the controls especially, it’ll definitely make you feel like giving up the moment you have a try at it. I actually felt like breaking my PSP into two pieces when I started playing this game. It really gave me a sense of frustration, really makes my blood boil at times. I do not actually feel

as frustrated playing the burnout games as this, maybe due to the fact that the burnout series doesn’t feel as hard as this game.

To conclude, I do admit I love the fun of destroying other objects in FlatOut: Head On. Although others might claim that the pull factor of the game will eventually come later, but I do not actually feel so. I feel a sense of boredom after a short period of time. I did not liked the car designs as much as the burnout games too. You can simply say that I do not have the patience to carry on to play, but games that are too annoying in controls just does not suit me well. For that, I’ll give a 5/10 for this game.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 281207399550131/k2311a0712/7.12.08