Untraceable Movie
  • I thoroughly enjoyed Untraceable even though the reviews I read were poor at best
  • I thought Diane Lane was really great as the FBI agent, struggling to control her personal and professional life
  • Then there was the fact that they didn't really try to stop people from visiting the site, which I found really irritating
  • I think that they could have done something more and it's something that kept nagging at me throughout the movie
  • In my area the internet goes down all the time, so I don't think it would have been that hard

• by Jenn Eblin

I thoroughly enjoyed Untraceable even though the reviews I read were poor at best. There were a few major problems I had with the movie, but given the cast and the overall plot line, it was something that I could actually get interested in. I usually let a movie play in the background while I’m working since I work at home, but this one made me completely stop working and just sit back and watch the movie.

The main plot follows a FBI agent named Jennifer and her partner Griffin. Griffin is the prototypical nerd who goes on several dates a week trying to find the perfect woman online. Jennifer is a single mom, raising her daughter at home with her mother after her husband is killed on the job. They both work in the cyber crimes division, which gets drawn into the public eye after someone starts killing locals in the area. The killer puts them online on his website and the person can escape if people don’t log on to watch the murder. As people log on and watch though, the deaths start happening.

I thought Diane Lane was really great as the FBI agent, struggling to control her personal and professional life. I also loved the fact that she had an eight year old

daughter since I just saw Jumper and couldn’t picture her as the mother of a 22-25 year old. I was equally charmed by Colin Hanks playing Griffin, who I’ve been a fan of since he was on the television show Roswell. The killer was also spooky because when I actually saw him, he looked like the kind of guy who could live right next door or sit next to you in class, but here he was killing people.

Though I really did like this movie, there were a few plot holes that I just couldn’t ignore. First of all was the website which the FBI specialists absolutely could not find a way to shut down. I’m hoping that the cyber crimes division of at least one of our government agencies would have the capabilities to shut something like that down. Then there was the fact that they didn’t really try to stop people from visiting the site, which I found really irritating. Basically they just went on television and urged people not to visit.

I think that they could have done something more and it’s something that kept nagging at me throughout the movie. They showed them tracing people’s computers, so why couldn’t they get a bunch of people online to trace the website visitors? Better yet,

• I think they could have called a few internet providers and forced them to take down their internet service. In my area the internet goes down all the time, so I don’t think it would have been that hard. Had they stopped AOL and Verizon 20 million people wouldn’t be able to visit the website right away.

Other than that I really did like this movie. I’ve already watched it three times since I rented it and I fully plan on buying it in the next couple of days.

ParagraphDivider

Untraceable Movie
    Ali says :

re : In my area the internet goes down all the time, so I don’t think it would have been that hard
    Cybercrime is real, and changes the world we live in as the internet allows for possibility, anonymity and (unfortunately) copycat behavior. This movie gives insight into the motivation of the behavior. Other reviews do not seem to recognize either the depth, or the significance of it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111207399091231/k2311a0712/7.12.08