NASCAR Cup Race June 15, 2008-Michigan  » Sport  »
0.5
  • Logically I know that NASCAR can't do anything about the fuel mileage problem, but it's definitely not something you see in other sports
  • I love Michigan International Speedway and I've actually had the chance to see the track for myself so I know how exciting a race can be
  • At one point Matt Kenseth almost hit a NASCAR official because he wouldn't get out of the way and I think had the man moved, Kenseth probably had a shot at winning that race
  • I'm just getting really disappointed by this season and if something doesn't change soon, this fan is taking her money elsewhere

• by Jenn Eblin

I am literally shaking after watching the NASCAR race today, not out of excitement or happiness, but out of anger. I have been a NASCAR fan for years now, but I am very close to turning off my television and taking my money elsewhere. I am so tired of seeing and hearing the announcers suck up to whatever driver is leading the race. I am also extremely tired of the finishes that we’re seeing week in and week out. Logically I know that NASCAR can’t do anything about the fuel mileage problem, but it’s definitely not something you see in other sports. When was the last time an NBA game ended because the other team got too tired and sat down on the court?

I guess this gives those annoying Dale Earnhardt Junior fans something else to shove down our throats and wave in the air like some strange little banner. It doesn’t matter that this is Junior’s first points win in over two years or that he’s been struggling all year; now that he has won once, they’ll keep bragging about it and expect him to win every other race for the rest of the season plus a championship.

I was tentatively making plans to attend at least two races this year and possibly three races, but now I’m thinking that I’d rather sit at home than deal with his fans at the track.

I love Michigan International Speedway and I’ve actually had the chance to see the track for myself so I know how exciting a race can be. Today’s race came down to a fuel mileage gamble, which is something that is getting way too familiar this season. I have no idea if it’s because of the new car or if there’s something else going on, but it’s no way to gain fans. I also have no idea what is going on with some of the crew chiefs and pit crews. At one point Matt Kenseth almost hit a NASCAR official because he wouldn’t get out of the way and I think had the man moved, Kenseth probably had a shot at winning that race. Then they left David Ragan out on the track when he didn’t have enough gas to finish.

Then “somehow” Dale Junior had enough fuel to finish the race when it went 6 miles over the finished amount of laps and he was ...

• two laps short to begin with. Would it surprise me if the NASCAR officials found something illegal on his car after the race? Not really because his team was known for cheating before he moved over to Hendrick, which has too many cheating fines to count. I just think it’s impossible to go that fast for that many laps without running out of fuel.

This race shows everything that is wrong with the NASCAR sport today. I saw an exciting race until the end, where the winner didn’t win because he was a better driver, but because of his crew and crew chief. I’m just getting really disappointed by this season and if something doesn’t change soon, this fan is taking her money elsewhere.

ParagraphDivider

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 35907397100731/k2311a079/7.9.08