Rolex Explorer II  » Watches  »
  • Instead, I am going to tell the story behind my purchase and why after almost 20 years of wearing it, I think it is so fabulous
  • I learned what the higher quality brands were, and I found that the high performance I was looking for in a watch came with a price
  • Although I had just graduated, I decided to get cracking towards a master's degree for fear of losing motivation if I lingered away from the school scene too long

• by VVG

I am not going to talk about all the specs that make this watch such a fabulous piece. Instead, I am going to tell the story behind my purchase and why after almost 20 years of wearing it, I think it is so fabulous. If I had to purchase a watch again today, there is no doubt that I would make the same choice.

I loved watches from the time I was six. My parents bought me my first during a family vacation in St. Thomas, the US Virgin Islands. The watch they chose for me had an airplane second hand that flew around the outside of the watch face. I loved it dearly and always wore a watch from that day on. One of the things I became obsessed with as I grew older was the capability of a watch to be waterproof. I spent a good part of my summers as a kid in and near water, be it pools, lakes or the ocean. For years I remember pestering my parents to find a truly waterproof watch. By the time I was a teen and then as I went through high school, my basic knowledge of watches had grown significantly. I learned what the higher quality brands were, and I found that the high

performance I was looking for in a watch came with a price. These desirable timepieces were out of reach for me. A succession of birthday, Christmas and graduation gifts yielded water resistant watches from thoughtful loved ones that all looked sharp, but all fogged up and failed after I put them through my paces. And although I did finally settle for a nice Seiko back then, I never forgot about the other watches I really longed for, especially the Rolex models.

After college came a job and the beginning of my career. Although I had just graduated, I decided to get cracking towards a master’s degree for fear of losing motivation if I lingered away from the school scene too long. It was tough working days and going to school nights and weekends, but it was also rewarding. When I did complete my master’s degree and made that promotion at work, I rewarded myself with the watch that I had my eye on for so long, the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Explorer II, stainless steel with black face. It was awesome and beautiful, and I still feel that way today. Not only is it truly waterproof, but it also has an automatic self winding mechanism. I really hated the idea of having to buy and replace batteries ...

• for my watch, so the automatic movement was a feature I also really wanted. The bezel has 24 hour markings around it, and there is a red 24 hour hand that allows you to monitor a second time zone independent of the standard hour hand. This is a great feature that I use all the time since I do travel frequently for work. There is also the signature Rolex date window with magnifier bubble, often copied but never true to the original. All of the other wonderful Rolex features and build qualities apply.

I wanted a watch that looked great but was not too flashy. My personal taste leans towards a sporty look, versus a classical or more formal watch. I was not looking for a solid gold handcuff either. I also desired a high quality timepiece that was tough and could be worn every day, to the office as well as to the beach. I think the Rolex Explorer II fit that bill perfectly. The durability of the stainless steel case and band is as attractive as the finish. I think that the black face really sets off the red 24 hour hand and the hour markings, making the watch look striking in a very classy way. I never had a problem with this watch; not

mountain biking, not scuba diving or hiking, camping, parasailing, water skiing, snow skiing, you name it. It is tough, requires virtually no maintenance, keeps time exceptionally well and looks great at all times. After almost 20 years of wearing it just about every day, I still notice people giving it that lingering look when it peeks out from under my shirtsleeve at a restaurant or in the conference room. No doubt they recognize it for what it is, a real and uniquely styled Rolex. It is not an inexpensive watch, but neither is it ultra expensive. I think that this is one of the greatest watches you can ever own, regardless of price. The original James Bond knew what a Rolex was all about. I am no James Bond, but my Rolex is the only watch I wear.

Some other watches that I like: Several models from TAG Heuer including the Aquaracer Automatic Watch. Very classy, modern yet classic in style.

The Tissot T-Touch. Although it runs on battery power, it is unique and innovative and offers some exceptional functions. It might be a bit too techie or sporty for wearing at formal functions, but hey, you’d be making a statement.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronometer and 300M GMT - Attractive, functional and classic looking watches.

V. Grin / June 27, 2008

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 64107391881031/k2311a071/7.1.08