Abit IB9 Motherboard  » Hardware  »
  • I bought this motherboard off of Newegg recently, and my computer's been running fine off of it for nearly a year now
  • If you've built your own computer before, then I think you'd have better luck than I did
  • But Abit hasn't steered me in the wrong direction with this initial experience
  • Much to the contrary, rather - I really enjoy using this computer and I know that the motherboard works hard to keep the whole thing working and in one piece

• by Vinayak Ravindran

I bought this motherboard off of Newegg recently, and my computer’s been running fine off of it for nearly a year now. It’s got tons of functionality - tons of USB ports, four SATA ports, four slots for DDR2 ram, an Intel-friendly CPU socket, and a nice low-end shape that can fit into smaller PC cases really easily. Finish it off with a cool blue finish and you’ve got one ice-cool motherboard.

I have to admit, though, that configuring the settings and loading drivers without a working

operating system was a huge hassle at first. This motherboard took months of off-and-on work to get clicking, but then this was my personal first time building a computer from scratch. If you’ve built your own computer before, then I think you’d have better luck than I did.

But seriously, Abit made a good product. I leave my computer running on all day, and it’s been this way for nearly a year now. I only give it a rest during the nights. The motherboard’s held up really ...

• well, and I’ve seen no issues of slowness or anything of the sort. Furthermore, the functionality and amount of ports on the board are really great and offer some true versatility for anyone who knows how to harness the power of ports, adapters, and whatnot. One of my favorite tweaks was suggested to me by a friend: use a male-to-female headphone jack adapter to use my guitar amplifier as the computer’s speakers. Thankfully, this board had the necessary ports. I can now enjoy blasting music at
        painfully loud decibel levels as the need arises.

And stuff like that is only the beginning. Now, I haven’t used any other boards - so I guess my opinion is pretty biased. But Abit hasn’t steered me in the wrong direction with this initial experience. Much to the contrary, rather - I really enjoy using this computer and I know that the motherboard works hard to keep the whole thing working and in one piece. Longevity is great, and I feel like it’ll stay that way *knock on wood*.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 333006391370130/k2311a0630/6.30.08