Little Tikes Large Sunshine Slide  » Baby care  »
2.0
  • It claims that this product just requires quick self-assembly, but I have to say that my experience was quite different from this
  • I would not recommend doing this, because if the rod were to slip too far to one side then the whole slide will collapse
  • Reading around on the internet it seems as if this is a common problem and Little Tikes are apparently now supplying a metal rod instead of a plastic one, which was clearly a design fault
  • I know that I'd be well within my rights to demand my money back, but as my little girl has become attached to her pink slide I will be satisfied with an apology and a metal rod

• by Daisy2000

This slide was bought as a gift for my daughter’s second birthday, and she chose it herself because it was pink! It is quite a bright pink colour, but those who don’t like pink will be glad to know that it also comes in yellow and green (that version is called the LT Easy Store Large Slide).

The slide comes flat-packed so you have to assemble it yourself. It claims that this product just requires quick self-assembly, but I have to say that my experience was quite different from this. There were two parts of the assembly process that were tricky, one I managed to overcome and one that I didn’t.

The first difficulty was trying to get the dark pink steps into the dark pink base. According to the instructions you need to fit the edge of the steps into the groove and then rotate and push in the direction of the illustrated arrow.

It seems like it should be a simple matter of stepping down on the bottom step, which should then give the ladder the force that it needs to click into the base. Sounds simple, but I didn’t

physically have the strength or the weight to get it to comply. However hard I stamped on it, or even jumped on it when I managed to balance it right(!) it seemed to have zero impact on the steps and there seemed no way that it would click into place. Faced with an excited two-year old I had to persevere, so I resorted to violence (not recommended!). I got hold of the heaviest thing that I could find, which happened to be a very weighty torch, and used it to bash the steps into the slot. It took a while but it worked.

Thinking that it would be plain-sailing from thereon, I came upon the second difficulty, which involved the plastic rod which you need to thread through the steps part of the slide and the chute part to secure them together. You are supposed to drive each side of this rod into a metal cap to keep it in place. As the rod is made of soft plastic, it seems an impossible task to drive it into the metal caps, which are hard and unforgiving. Following the manufacturer’s advice and placing ...

• the cap first in the cap protector to keep it in place, and then on a sturdy piece of wood to absorb the impact didn’t make this task any easier. By hitting the rod with a hammer I just made it fray and buckle so that the ends got wider and wider. There was no way the other end was going to go into the metal cap, and the wider it got the less likely this seemed. After giving this a fair try I gave up.

I threaded the unsecured rod through the holes in the steps and the chute and had a good look at it. The rod fits pretty snugly in the holes and holds the slide together firmly even without the metal caps. This is by no means an ideal situation and is only temporary. I would not recommend doing this, because if the rod were to slip too far to one side then the whole slide will collapse. For the time being my daughter is using the slide but I have to inspect it each time to make sure that there’s a good amount of visible

pole on each side.

Reading around on the internet it seems as if this is a common problem and Little Tikes are apparently now supplying a metal rod instead of a plastic one, which was clearly a design fault. As we only bought our slide recently I feel that we are entitled to a metal rod instead of the plastic one, so I will be complaining. I know that I’d be well within my rights to demand my money back, but as my little girl has become attached to her pink slide I will be satisfied with an apology and a metal rod!

On the plus side my daughter and her friends love it, and assuming it can be put together properly it is quite a sturdy slide, with chunky wide steps and raised sides on the chute. Should we want to store it, it also folds down very easily.

Overall, I’m obviously not very happy with this slide, and I would only recommend buying it if it contains a metal rod. I also think that it’s possibly a bit small for a child over the age of four despite its recommended age range of 2-6 years.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 543006390851230/k2311a0630/6.30.08