Movie Cloverfield (2008)  » Movies  »
  • As many others, my first experience with Cloverfield was during the opening set of previews for last year's summer blockbuster Transformers
  • I thought this was a pleasantly realistic effect, even though many were appalled by the constant shaking and dropping of the camera
  • I really enjoyed this effect, and was immersed in the realistic terror that all of these characters felt

• by Vinayak Ravindran

As many others, my first experience with Cloverfield was during the opening set of previews for last year’s summer blockbuster Transformers. The movie was drenched in the bloody veins of terror, depicting some… thing laying waste to New York like with all its ability. Shrieks of people pierced the sky as the head of the Statue of Liberty screeched through the heavens and landed on a street in front of (and no doubt on top of) innocent people trying to flee from the madness. Pure terror, and I loved it. Could

not wait to watch the movie myself on its release date (indeed, at first we weren’t even given the movie’s title, just the release date 1-18-08. Talk about anticipation), and I subsequently bought into the hive of theorizing and sea of viral marketing that soon flooded the internet. Slusho, anyone?

In any case, I’ll hail back to the beginning of the last paragraph. The atmosphere of absolute terror is expertly done in Cloverfield. As you must already know, the film was composed with a style that is very much made to emulate ...

• that of an actual handheld camera intended for home and personal use. As a result, the camera actually becomes one of the characters. I thought this was a pleasantly realistic effect, even though many were appalled by the constant shaking and dropping of the camera. Forget the naysayers, I say. If you can’t appreciate the atmosphere of terror that this film creates due to letting you feel the emotions of a character via a camera, then I don’t know what to say. It was seriously good, and unorthodox stuff in my
        book. Furthermore, this approach to filming the movie made all of the acting and special effects look more believable than they would otherwise. I really enjoyed this effect, and was immersed in the realistic terror that all of these characters felt.

Truly a thrilling read, Cloverfield. One downside would be that there’s not much to come back to after you’ve seen and enjoyed the film a few times, unless you wanted to rewatch it to get your adrenaline pumping again. The fear that this movie can spawn will do that to you without a hitch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112806389720330/k2311a0628/6.28.08