Happy Feet (2006)
2.5
  • Although his angsty performance of Frodo in the blockbuster Lord of the Rings trilogy was admittedly good, I found his performances often hard to swallow when they appeared elsewhere
  • It has charm in spades, something that children are sure to enjoy, but I very much feel that even a kid's movie has some flaws when an adult can't enjoy the experience
  • You know, I think that hits the proverbial nail on the head
  • This one's great for the kids, but not amazing as a standalone movie

• by Vinayak Ravindran

When I first watched the previews for Happy Feet, I was apalled and vowed never to watch the movie. Aside from a recent lack of creativity as far as CG movies are concerned, the concept of the movie seemed inexplicably bland. Indeed, the type of idea that someone comes up with when they start to run out of ideas that are actually good and creative. My

grudges against Elijah Wood as an actor also spawned some disinterest. Although his angsty performance of Frodo in the blockbuster Lord of the Rings trilogy was admittedly good, I found his performances often hard to swallow when they appeared elsewhere. Happy Feet was no exception to this ‘rule’.

So, when my family rented the movie and compelled me to watch it with them, I was iffy about the whole situation. In the end, I consented to watching the movie, if only so that I could feel better about myself in my ability to spot movies that I didn’t enjoy.

Surprise, surprise. I didn’t enjoy the film very much. It has charm in spades, something that children are sure to enjoy, but I very much feel that even a kid’s movie has some flaws when ...

• Happy Feet (2006)
      an adult can’t enjoy the experience. The jokes are funny for the split second in which they appear, and the songs (while catchy) are ultimately easy to forget. You know, I think that hits the proverbial nail on the head: this movie was forgettable.

Even now, I don’t recall much of the plot.. But frankly, I don’t care. Something about a penguin who should be able to

sing but can’t, but knows how to tap dance instead.

This one’s great for the kids, but not amazing as a standalone movie. However, I guess the fact that I was able to sit through the whole thing says something about the quality: it’s not that bad on a technical level. Must just be own biases, but nonetheless they impeded my ability to really enjoy this film… On every level.

Happy Feet (2006)
Asim says :

re : This one’s great for the kids, but not amazing as a standalone movie
It has a meaningful lesson for children and an inspiration for those who are the black sheep of their community. Although, not a great movie on it’s own, a good storyline but not a good voice-acting, fair animations and a nice happy-ending but feels boring at moments. Overall, it could be a 7 out of 10.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112706389290230/k2311a0627/6.27.08