Disney’s Robin Hood (1973)  » Movies  »
2.5
  • In fact, the main reason why I like it at all is the narrator, a rooster / minstrel with the voice of Roger Miller, who also composed the songs that he sings to move the story along

• by Tessa Dick

“Robin Hood” is not my favorite Disney animated feature. In fact, the main reason why I like it at all is the narrator, a rooster / minstrel with the voice of Roger Miller, who also composed the songs that he sings to move the story along.

The bunnies are cute, of course, and all of the animals that play their roles seem to fit. For example, the advisor to evil King

John is a snake. King John and his brother Richard (the rightful king) are lions. Robin Hood, the clever bandit, is a fox. And so forth.

The animation is more like a low budget Saturday morning cartoon than a Disney feature film. The story sticks in some places, so the rooster / minstrel has to bridge the gaps by telling us what happened.

There isn’t much chance that I ...

• will have to break down and replace my VHS tape with a DVD, since I play this movie only when my granddaughter is visiting. It’s okay, but Disney can do better. Much better.

Kids like it. They have courtship scenes between Robin Hood and Maid Marian, playful scenes with the bunnies and a turtle, and exciting scenes when the bad guys put the good guys in danger. It isn’t ever

super scary. The most frightening scene is when Little John thinks that Robin Hood has drowned, but then Robin Hood comes out of the water, where he has been breathing through a straw.

I kind of like this movie, and I wouldn’t be so hard on it if it didn’t have the Disney label. Actually, it is pretty faithful to the original story of Robin Hood. you know, the classic children’s book.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112606388710530/k2311a0626/6.26.08