The Eye Movie
2.5
  • As one of those rare (very rare) horror fans that never really liked the Japanese imports, I've been more than a little disappointed at the sheer amount of Japanese remakes we've seen in the last few years
  • A few years ago I probably would have bought this movie the day it came out, but this time I decided to just wait and rent it
  • I've loved Jessica Alba as an actress for years now, but this is one of those cases where I learned that she really can't carry an entire movie on her own
  • I think that's pretty sad because I thought she was great in Dark Angel, but now I'm waiting for her to get her acting back on track
  • I'm pretty sure my grandma could have seen how it would end, but I know there have to be a few people in the world who thought it was a shock

• by Jenn Eblin

The Eye is one of those movies that I kind of wanted to see, but I really wasn’t sure if I would like it. As one of those rare (very rare) horror fans that never really liked the Japanese imports, I’ve been more than a little disappointed at the sheer amount of Japanese remakes we’ve seen in the last few years. The Grudge, Dark Water, The Ring not to mention all the sequels, and now The Eye. A few years ago I probably would have bought this movie the day it came out, but this time I decided to just wait and rent it.

I didn’t love The Eye and I didn’t hate the movie, but I did find it fairly predictable. Plus the acting was a little sub-par. I’ve loved Jessica Alba as an actress for years now, but this is one of those cases where I learned that she really can’t carry an entire movie on her own. If you pair her with a good supporting cast and at least one other celebrity she does pretty good, but here she falters. I think that’s pretty sad because I thought she was great in Dark Angel, but now I’m waiting for her to get her acting back on track.

Alba starts out playing the most unconvincing blind

woman I’ve ever seen in a movie. She wears four inch open toe sandals that I would never wear because one of the straps would come loose and throw me in front of a moving train. Yet she walks down the street as if she doesn’t have a care in the world. Luckily we only have to see her playing blind for the first 10 minutes before she gets her cornea transplant and suddenly sees perfectly.

I want to point out here that the whole setup is completely ridiculous. She plays a twenty-something who has either been on the donor list forever and just got a donor, or just decided to get the surgery, they never really clarify that point. Then within a week of the surgery she’s perfectly fine and never even has to see her doctor again, though she does begin dating him at one point.

I will admit that some of the “horror” scenes were a little scary considering this is a PG-13 movie. I especially disliked the dead kid living in her apartment complex that kept appearing, but that might be because I have a strong dislike of dead kids in movies. The end of the movie was slightly cool, but incredibly predictable at the same time. I’m pretty sure my grandma could have ...

• seen how it would end, but I know there have to be a few people in the world who thought it was a shock.

The Eye is one of those movies that will probably end up in my collection because it’s a horror movie, but I don’t know if I’ll ever get the urge to watch it again. I’m curious to see the 2-disc collection though, to see how the actors and filmmakers thought the movie played out. Maybe they have some insight into what they thought they were creating here.

ParagraphDivider

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112506386890530/k2311a0625/6.25.08