ASUS A8
  • I bought an ASUS laptop because they always give me a laptop that's worth the money

• by BARRY

ASUS was a company that I did not expect to come out with laptops actually. They produced a number other hardware products like motherboards and graphic cards. It was actually founded by four Taiwanese, who were originally computer engineers from Acer. Their recent break through of the ASUS Eee PC was one of it’s kind, a ridiculously ultra mobile laptop, made many other companies like HP and Acer to venture into this market.

I recently got my hands onto a 2nd hand ASUS A8 Laptop. It’s a Core 2 Duo laptop at 1.83ghz, with a ATI X2300 dedicated graphic card. I was fairly surprised to have a Vista Home Premium

running on my laptop. But I must emphasize that 1gigabyte of ram is really not enough for a Windows Vista, due to high amount of resources used in Vista.

The design was fairly ok, with a very dull looking silver. It’s a little bit on the thick side and it weighs about 2.4kg. Maybe it was due to the fact that the laptop is actually 2nd hand. The quality was slightly faded than usual. It couldn’t be compared to the later generation of laptops that ASUS produced. Thankfully for ASUS laptop, I never failed to get my money’s worth for the laptop.

The touchpad is fairly good to use, just ...

• that the scrolling function can have sensitivity issues at times. The keyboard was really hard, it does not actually suit me, mainly because I always preferred a keyboard that’s much easier to type. A VGA integrated camera was included in this laptop too, but I didn’t thought it was a very important function to me.

For the software provided by ASUS, like the ASUS Splendid Technology Utility, I actually thought it was rubbish, just adding contrast to make your screen look brighter. The multiframe software also made my mouse functions a little haywire; I had to uninstall it eventually. I would not keep bringing the ASUS software down, but

I loved the ASUS Live Update, for hardware patches. I find that it’s really useful for me to get the latest drivers for my hardware like motherboard, etc.

Actually, I loved my ASUS A8 apart from the bad software that they provided. I bought an ASUS laptop because they always give me a laptop that’s worth the money. I feel it’s a good functional laptop to use. It’s advisable for consumers who just need a spare laptop to use, with not so much fuss over the processor speeds and other specifications. I would give this laptop a 8/10 for sure. But some people might find a 2.4kg laptop a little too heavy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 632306385111130/k2311a0623/6.23.08