Big Mo Chocolate Caramel Candy Bar  » Food  »
2.0
  • The candy itself sounded like a Caramello, which I loved as a kid so I thought I would like this
  • Instead I found myself wishing I had a Caramello
  • The wrapper is nice enough, with a fairly big picture of Dale Earnhardt Junior, but the wrapper was about the best part
  • The only reason for that in my opinion though is because the racer was right in the middle of switching teams when the candy was released
  • I think these will probably start turning up on eBay with people selling them for a profit in the near future

• by Jenn Eblin

I managed to snag the Dale Earnhardt Junior Big Mo Caramel candy bar a few weeks before the candy hit the shelves. I’m a big NASCAR fan, so I couldn’t wait to try it. Oddly enough, I don’t care for Dale Earnhardt Junior at all, but I still wanted to try them. I also managed to grab a few extra bars for my boyfriend who is a big fan of the racer and was eager to try them out.

The candy itself sounded like a Caramello, which I loved as a kid so I thought I would like this. Instead I found myself wishing I had a Caramello. The wrapper is nice enough, with a fairly big picture of Dale Earnhardt Junior, but the wrapper was about the best part. They did place a “normal” picture of Dale Junior on the wrapper, without any of the usual paraphernalia or logos crowded on him. The only reason for that in my opinion though is because the racer was right in the middle of switching teams when the candy was released. I think they probably didn’t have enough time to take pictures of him in his new fire suit before it

was released.

The chocolate tastes cheap, and doesn’t actually have a lot of chocolate taste to it. It also tasted a little waxy, like it had been sitting around for awhile even though it was brand new. I’ve tried the candy a few times from different stores and it always has this same taste. The caramel was really thin, and didn’t have the chew that I was expecting. It tended to melt really fast too, which I hated. I would have been happy if it melted slowly, but it started melting as soon as I held it in my hand. Each one of the squares had a little facsimile of Dale Earnhardt Junior’s signature or a small picture of a race car. That was cute, but it didn’t really add anything.

I was really hoping to like this one, but I didn’t really like it. I guess it would work in a pinch, if I had a craving for chocolate, but even then I would have to be pretty desperate. I only had two squares, and threw the rest of the bar away. My boyfriend who loves Dale Junior didn’t eat his either. He keeps them in the freezer ...

• for those times when one of us wants chocolate, but we still haven’t ate them.

I have noticed that this are already disappearing from the stores, even though they only came out a few months ago. I don’t think that’s a very good sign, especially since these were never marketed as a limited edition food or a food that would only be around for a few months. Palmer actually made it seem like they’d be sticking around, but I guess that wasn’t the case. I think these will probably start turning up on eBay with people selling them for a profit in the near future. I’d say grab these while you can if you want to try them before they disappear completely.

ParagraphDivider

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272106383440730/k2311a0621/6.21.08