NASCAR Cup Race June 8, 2008-Pocono  » Sport  »
2.5
  • There is something about Pocono that is completely boring and it makes me wonder why they use the track for two races every year
  • When the race started it was pretty evident that the real problem was the newly repaved Turn 3
  • I did think it was interesting to see the reporters talking with Busch in the garage where he took full responsibility for the accident and apologized to both McMurray and his crew
  • I have to say that I was really impressed with Kurt Busch
  • Unfortunately they said the same thing about Kyle Busch when he was leading the race and never once mentioned Kasey Kahne until he took over the lead

• by Jenn Eblin

I’ve been watching NASCAR for quite awhile and today’s race was the first time this season that I turned off the race and started flipping through the channels. There is something about Pocono that is completely boring and it makes me wonder why they use the track for two races every year. The track itself is kind of boring and when you watch the race, you can’t help but notice the lack of crowd on hand. At other nearby tracks for example Michigan, I’m used to seeing a whole lot more people at the track to watch the races. Personally I would never waste my time or money to attend a race there.

When the race started it was pretty evident that the real problem was the newly repaved Turn 3. Since Pocono only has 3 turns, I’m not sure why they’d repave only one turn and leave the others intact. It led to several wrecks both in practice and during the actual wreck. Once Kyle Busch wrecked alongside Jamie McMurray, I was pretty much done for the day. I did think it was interesting to see the reporters talking with Busch in the garage where he took full responsibility for the accident

and apologized to both McMurray and his crew. It’s nice in my eyes to see Busch taking some responsibility and owning up to his mistakes, especially since he never did that while at Hendrick.

I have to say that I was really impressed with Kurt Busch. Early in the race he spun coming out of turn three, same as several other drivers and spun into the grass next to the track. It looked like his day was done and with other crews he probably would have spent some time on pit road. Instead his crew fixed his car and sent him back on the track. After working his way through the field he managed to pull off a top ten finish. Another impressive story was Matt Kenseth who pulled off another top 10 finish and is quietly working his way up in the points.

I think the reason I turned the race off was because once Kasey Kahne took over the lead, the announcers were climbing all over themselves to point out how they thought he was such a great racer. They said several times that they knew he had it in him and that they knew he was going to walk away ...

• with the win. Unfortunately they said the same thing about Kyle Busch when he was leading the race and never once mentioned Kasey Kahne until he took over the lead. Even when he was working his way up through the field, they never mentioned him. It was basically a case where they felt the need to kiss butt once the race was almost over.

The interviews after the show were equally ridiculous. They talked to the winner, and a few other drivers before turning off for the day. I’m really tired of them constantly talking to Dale Earnhardt Junior when he barely says ten words before walking away. I wish they’d talk to one of the racers who finished further back in the field and see what they thought of the day.

ParagraphDivider

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 352106383260730/k2311a0621/6.21.08