HP Photosmart 635 2.1MP Digital Camera  » Cameras  »
  • So I thought maybe it was a fluke, but it kept happening, and if they weren't FRESHLY charged, they would sometimes work and sometimes not
  • I know this is a common problem with many digital cameras, especially maybe the slightly older ones - they seem to be improving on it with some of the newer ones
  • On the highest quality setting, I found it holds about 12 pictures, so I would buy an SD card if I were going to keep using the camera
  • It takes great pictures, but I did have a problem with it giving my son red-eye -- I think the red-eye prevention was on, it flashed twice like they usually do

• by handsomebabysmom

This camera has some pros and cons, like all others, but I plan to find another camera to buy. I got the HP Photosmart 635 2. 1MP Digital Camera from my sister-in-law when she got a new camera (actually her brother-in-law had let her borrow it for a while, and she got a new one), after my camera started having problems, the camera’s owner said he’d sell it for $25.

We thought, “Great”. Well, we immediately had slight battery trouble.

We were using rechargeable NiMH batteries, and in my old camera, which used 4 batteries, we could get LOTS of pictures before the batteries went dead. I mean, the batteries would last several days, with regular use, maybe 2

days on vacation when we were using it a lot.

But it would give you a good warning, and you could still take a few pics after the warning (that was a Canon PowerShot, which we used for several years). This HP Photosmart uses 2 AA batteries, and when I put in 2 completely freshly charged batteries, they died within about 10 minutes of use.

So I thought maybe it was a fluke, but it kept happening, and if they weren’t FRESHLY charged, they would sometimes work and sometimes not. Well, I can’t run around charging batteries every 10 minutes, so that was Not Acceptable.

The other con we found is that it is slow to take a ...

• picture when you press the button. I know this is a common problem with many digital cameras, especially maybe the slightly older ones - they seem to be improving on it with some of the newer ones.

Well, this is a big problem for us because we are taking pictures of a toddler, and he doesn’t sit still for too long, so the “perfect picture moment” is literally just a moment; when you snap the picture, you want it to take right then. On the Pro side.

The HP Photosmart 635 has lots of great options, including your choice of quality of photo, so you can make the internal memory hold more if you don’t want incredibly super quality

photos that still look great for emailing and printing. There is a 16mb internal memory.

On the highest quality setting, I found it holds about 12 pictures, so I would buy an SD card if I were going to keep using the camera. It takes great pictures, but I did have a problem with it giving my son red-eye — I think the red-eye prevention was on, it flashed twice like they usually do.

Overall, it’s a nice camera, but we decided we would rather find one to buy for maybe $80 - $100 if we were going to spend any money on one, rather than take this one for $25 and be forever frustrated with the battery life factor.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 432106382770630/k2311a0621/6.21.08