Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree  » Other  »
  • My husband and I bought a chinese elm bonsai about a year ago
  • So we repotted it, as they recommend, in good Akadama soil
  • After a week or two I noticed some tiny little green spots on the branches
  • It was definitely worth committing to such a job

• by Mariana Wilson

My husband and I bought a chinese elm bonsai about a year ago. We both love bonsai trees, so we thought we’d give it a try. We also bought a lot of books and manuals on how to look after them.

At the beginning we were scared thinking neither of us was very good with house plants and we wondered how long it would take before we killed it. The miniature tree was lovely.

It was a Chinese elm, all nice

and green, with the trunk in the shape of a snake with its mouth open. We watered it every three days and fed it regularly like the book said.

Some leaves fell off after a while, but new ones grew instead. By the spring of this year it started looking a little sad.

It lost most of its leaves and the ones that grew didn’t look as healthy as they should have. So we repotted it, as they recommend, in ...

• good Akadama soil.

We tied it nicely with wire so that the roots stay in place and gave it lots of watering and feeding. To our concern, in the next few days the few remaining leaves fell off as well.

The trunk was now completely bare and the little tree looked like it had no life. It was like that for days.

We kept wondering what we had done wrong. We tried to do everything according to the book and

yet it seemed like we had killed it.

After a week or two I noticed some tiny little green spots on the branches. In a few days they got bigger and in less than a week they turned into fresh, healthy leaves.

Our little tree was regenerating. Now it is all nice and green again and it looks much better than it ever did.

All our efforts and worries were not in vain. It was definitely worth committing to such a job.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 122006381970330/k2311a0620/6.20.08