Sony IC Recorder
  • I found myself in need of a digital recorder that would allow me to make sound recordings away from my computer but still put the files onto CD's or email them
  • I like having the ability to make sound files that transfer easily from one computer to the next or onto CD's for playing in standard CD players
  • All in all, this is the best pocket voice recorder I've had, and I'm really thankful to have moved beyond the micro-cassette version

• by tutor1235

I recently purchased a Sony IC Recorder (ICD-P520) and have been very pleased with this little gadget. I found myself in need of a digital recorder that would allow me to make sound recordings away from my computer but still put the files onto CD’s or email them. This recorder does the trick.

The Sony recorder was easy to learn to use. It can actually record up to 120 hours of digital files, making it very nice for recording meetings, classes and workshops.

It has a simple file system that allows the user to organize recordings, and “idiot-proof” buttons that prevent you from accidentally recording over a file that you wanted to keep. The built-in microphone picks up sounds nicely and clearly from some distance away, and the sound quality is certainly passable for the uses that I need-recording presenters, making memos to myself, recording songs to help me learn them to share with children, and so forth. I’m not sure that it would do a good ...

• job with recording real music like at a concert, and I haven’t tried it in a classroom setting like a college lecture.

The thing I liked best about the Sony IC Recorder was the ease with which I was able to transfer sound files to my main computer, then to their final destination. The Recorder attaches to the computer with a USB cable and there is some software to load. Once that’s all set up, the user interface is quite friendly and easy to manage.

I like having the ability to make sound files that transfer easily from one computer to the next or onto CD’s for playing in standard CD players.

The recorder itself is physically quite compact-about 4 inches long, 1 inch wide and half an inch thick. It tucks into my tote bag and purse, and I’ve even carried it in my pocket from time to time.

All in all, this is the best pocket voice recorder I’ve had, and I’m really thankful to have moved beyond the micro-cassette version!

Billy says :

Is the Software required to transfer the files to the COmputer? What is the role of Software

John says :

Billy, depending on what version of Windows you have, sometimes the recorder will show up in “my computer” as a drive letter as well. Which gives you the ability to simply copy the files to the drive there.

Galega says :

Yes, you need to install a software that is provided with the packing on your computer. It will help you to seamlessly transfer all recorded videos. You can also transfer videos without using the software. However, there will be little bit possibility of files getting corrupted.

kyaw says :

I need a User manual for my Sony recorder — ICD-BP 350. Could you help? Kyaw

John says :

Kyaw, Sony does not have this manual available online, but you can download it from a third party website. Here’s the link:

mohammed says :

whats the battery life of this device and I need to know whether i can use this device continously around 100 hours?

John says :

You won’t be able to use it for 100 hours. According to the manual, the battery lasts for 11 hours of recording and 7.2 hours for playback.

Galega says :

You can keep this device for more than 100 hours without the battery getting completely drained out. But, if you mean recording or playing back for this duration, then you may not like the result. Keeping aside claims made by Sony, you can use this recorder around 5 hours continuously once it gets fully charged. By this duration, I have added both recording and playing back videos.

Sandy replies :

Yes, the software provided with the recorder is required to transfer files. It`s pretty easy to use and straightforward. It allows you to move the files from the recorder to the computer, and to convert files to mp3.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161906381210330/k2311a0619/6.19.08