Su Dara Riding ( horseback riding )  » Business  »
8104 Canyon Road E. Puyallup, WA
  • Just be prepared to give your weight, height, and riding experience when setting up your appointment
  • I mean, come on- I know she depends on customers for her business, but
  • In conclusion, I do recommend Su Dara if you are in the area

• by junebug

Until I moved out of the area, I had been an occasional regular customer of Su Dara. Not having a horse of my own, it was fun to go sometimes when I could afford to.

Located along busy Canyon Road across the street from the fire station, it’s easy to find by the large flag decorated with a unicorn.

First, the good parts: the horses are well-trained for any age or size rider. This isn’t just for kids like so many horseback riding activities. Adults are welcome too. Just be prepared to give your weight, height, and riding experience when setting up your appointment. This isn’t to be nosy,

just to fit you to the right horse. Even if you’ve never been near a horse before, you’ll get the one that’s best for you.

The rides usually are an hour, although longer ones are available. But you have to pay for the extra time, of course. You can go any day of the year, even holidays.

There are a number of trails in a beautiful wooded area that you get to ride on. The woman that owns the business, Susan, is your guide. You’re not on your own, so don’t worry about getting lost.

Now, the not so good: Susan takes some getting used to. She’s kind of a ...

• ‘tough cookie’ and her personality rubs me the wrong way. She’s friendly enough most of the time, but if she gets mad about something, she doesn’t hesitate to swear. She also gets a bit impatient with people who don’t know everything about horses. Be warned!

She doesn’t like it when people cancel rides, no matter how legitimate the reason. One time when I went, I was the only customer. My ride was practically ruined because the whole time she was complaining to me about another customer who cancelled- because of heavy rain! I mean, come on- I know she depends on customers for her business, but…be reasonable, and for

cryin’ out loud, don’t whine to your other customers!

Also, while her horses seem well-cared for, they also seem rather bored and disinterested in the whole thing. Especially the horse I rode most of the time- Neesa, an Arabian mare. She’s a good horse, but seems to resent being ridden. I nicknamed her the ‘Glare Mare’.

In conclusion, I do recommend Su Dara if you are in the area. Just be aware that it’s not a glamorous place with sleek shiny horses. It’s nice for a refreshing ride if you don’t have any other access to horses, and I wish there was someplace like it here where I am now.

Ateam says :

I agree with the above review…. The trails are beautiful, however - Susan ruined the whole thing for me. Her constant barking at us was not helpful nor fun. I guess I have a harsher view of her than the other reviewers - to me it was WAY more than just getting used to her.

At one point, she was criticizing me for not holding the reins properly and commented that it was like talking to a child (I am a grown woman)

Then she was yelling all sorts of directions at us, like turn left, etc which I DID but obviously not fast enough because she commented that I didn’t know my right from my left.

ALSO - when we left, she didn’t even utter a goodbye or thank you or anything We got back there, and I asked if it was time to get off my horse. She literally barked at me NO and then when I could get off she just walked away without another word….

So - in short, DONT go here - I won’t ever go again. Susan is plain rude, swears, literally YELLS at you (for God’s sake don’t bring children, she would probably eat them alive)

I was very disappointed. Especially at basically 40 bucks a person to be yelled at for an hour about how we are doing stuff wrong. Uh - hello??? we are not all horse experts Tell us nicely

Sorry, but I get mad just thinking about it - she was that rude.

Lor says :

I had the opportunity to ride at Su Dara riding stables. The horses were well taken care of. The owner was a bit rough, but clearly knew and cared about her horses. The trail ride was beautiful and as we rode, I grew to have a great deal of respect for the owner. I am looking forward to coming back. What I appreciated the most was her accomadating me to ride early in the day so that I could get back to work. Good place to ride.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 411806381071130/k2311a0618/6.18.08