Boogeyman 2 Movie  » Movies  »
2.5
  • I know that Bell is rather creepy and has an excellent voice for horror movies, but it felt like they really only chose him because of his roles in other horror movies
  • If you haven't seen the movie, then you might be disappointed by these holes
  • Unfortunately he's capable of a number of supernatural things like putting cockroaches in a potato chip bag when there were no bugs there seconds before

• by Jenn Eblin

Boogeyman 2 isn’t the kind of movie that you absolutely love or absolutely hate; it’s more the kind of movie that leaves everyone feeling like it was only okay or so-so. That was how I felt after watching it anyway. I originally saw the preview for the movie while watching another straight to DVD release and had no clue what it was. I made a joke that it was Boogeyman 2 and made a creepy sounding voice, only to laugh out loud when I saw that it really was a sequel. I also got a kick out of the fact that David Gallager who played Simon on the television show Seventh Heaven was in the movie. He actually played the younger brother of Barry Watson who appeared in the first Boogeyman movie as the main character. I finally had the chance to watch it and I can only really say that the movie is okay.

The directors really ticked me off by employing a little stunt casting with the addition of Tobin Bell who is best known for his role in the Saw movie franchise. I know that Bell is rather creepy and has an excellent voice for horror movies, but it felt like they really only chose him because of his roles in other horror movies. I got the feeling after

listening to the commentaries that they would have gone with any horror movie icon in the role, but ended up with Tobin Bell.

The movie follows a group of people in a mental institution, but this irritated me as well. It obviously looks like a house rather than an institution especially the individual bedrooms. I’m sorry, but no institution would have wallpaper and elegant lighting fixtures. Of course they confused things even more by later backtracking and saying that it wasn’t an institution but rather part of a local hospital, just in an older wing that was seldom used.

Boogeyman 2 also suffers from large plot holes. If you haven’t seen the movie, then you might be disappointed by these holes. Somehow we’re supposed to spend the whole movie believing in the boogeyman because the doctors try to convince the girl that she’s wrong about her fears. I’ve seen enough horror movies to know that the main character is always right and the smart doctors are always wrong. In this case though it seems like they must be right because the killer turns out to be a human and not the boogeyman.

The director had no connection to the last movie, but he does include a file with a picture of the other movie’s main character. Apparently he was treated at ...

• the hospital for his deep fears of the boogeyman and was later cured. This completely takes away the point of the last movie, which was that the boogeyman was a real threat that killed people. In this one though we’re left with a human who masquerades as the boogeyman. Unfortunately he’s capable of a number of supernatural things like putting cockroaches in a potato chip bag when there were no bugs there seconds before.

It’s a fairly confusing movie that seems to go back on what it said earlier and takes away from the first movie. I found that very disappointing.

ParagraphDivider

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111706380400130/k2311a0617/6.17.08