2008 Chevy Cobalt  » Cars  »
  • There is not much legroom for backseat passengers when the front seats are positioned all the way to the back, but this issue was easily solved by pushing the front seats partway forward
  • I think that all but the tallest of drivers or passengers would find the Cobalt a comfortable ride
  • After renting this car, we will definitely be looking into the Cobalt as one of our options

• by Heather Carter

I recently rented a Chevy Cobalt on a trip to southern California. It was a white four-door compact sedan. It came with a pretty basic package, but I was pleased to find out that it featured power windows and doors, air conditioning, and a pretty nice stereo system. This is not usually something I expect from an Economy-class car rental, but it made our trip just that more enjoyable.

I was traveling with a friend and my youngest son, and I was concerned that there would not be enough room for all of our stuff. I was quite surprised by the amount of trunk space available. It does not look like a very spacious car from the outside, but the trunk is quite large. It easily held 2

suitcases, our carry-on bags and a stroller, plus there was plenty of room for the incidental purchases we made during our stay.

The front seats were pretty comfortable, with plenty of legroom to spare. I did have to adjust my seat forward to fit my son’s car seat comfortably in the back though. But even with the seat about half way to the maximum forward position, I still had plenty of legroom. Once the passenger seat was moved forward, my son had plenty of legroom too.

The back seats feature the LATCH anchor system and tether points, so it was very easy to install my son’s car seat. There was still plenty of room next to him for another passenger, too. There is not much legroom for ...

• backseat passengers when the front seats are positioned all the way to the back, but this issue was easily solved by pushing the front seats partway forward. There was enough flexibility to make everyone comfortable. I think that all but the tallest of drivers or passengers would find the Cobalt a comfortable ride.

Another feature I really like about the Cobalt is the gas mileage. We were told by the rental agency that the Cobalt gets about 36 miles to the gallon. We did not verify this, but we did drive all over the southern California freeways, at least 300-400 miles in the 3 days that we were there. We only had to fill the tank about halfway before we turned it into the rental agency. Since I’m used

to filling up my mini-van at least 2 times per week for around-the-town driving, I was very pleased with the Cobalt’s fuel economy.

The Cobalt felt fun and sporty. It is easy to maneuver and has a pretty decent turning radius. It is small, so it took awhile to get used to being lower than most of the traffic around us, but that is about the only downside I saw. I think the Cobalt would make a great commuter vehicle or a family car for a small family. We are thinking about trading in my husband’s truck and getting a more gas-friendly vehicle for him to commute. After renting this car, we will definitely be looking into the Cobalt as one of our options. Overall, I would rate the Cobalt as a 9.

2008 Chevy Cobalt

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 91506378300130/k2311a0615/6.15.08