Frankenstein by Mary Shelley  » Books  »
2.5
  • Usually, when I see a movie based off a book, I like the book much better
  • Then, when his younger brother is murdered by the monster, you think things will get interesting only to have more chapters of him feeling sorry for himself
  • I know I certainly wouldn't want to be placed on trial back after reading about the woman who was accused of killing Victor's brother had to go through
  • But, I think I would much rather see it on my television screen

• by Steve

Usually, when I see a movie based off a book, I like the book much better. In the case of Frankenstein, I actually like the movie better.

It’s not that Mary Shelley’s book is bad; it’s just really dull when you consider it is billed as a monster book.

If anything, it’s a

book about psychology and, to be honest, that isn’t a subject I was very interested in.

The biggest thing for me is the fact 75% of the book is actually quite dull.

You get a lot of background information about Victor Frankenstein then a couple chapters about him creating his famous monster followed by too many pages focusing on his nervous breakdown.

Then, when his younger brother is murdered by the monster, you think things will get interesting only to have more chapters of him feeling sorry for himself.

Heck, the monster really doesn’t have much to do with the book at all.

If anything a ...

• Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
      movie that focuses on the creature is an improvement since that should be the real star.

That being said, the book does have some redeeming qualities if you ever want to get an idea what life in 18th century Europe was like.

I know I certainly wouldn’t want to be placed on trial

back after reading about the woman who was accused of killing Victor’s brother had to go through.

But, if you’re looking for a book that is entertaining to read, I’m not sure if this is the book I would choose.

Maybe some people would like it.

But, I think I would much rather see it on my television screen.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Sonia Q says :

I really enjoy reading other people’s thoughts on some of my favourite books. It’s interesting, isn’t it, how some people can love a book and others don’t like it at all

‘Frankenstein’ is definitely liked by more than “some people” but I do see your point that when it’s billed as a “monster” book then it does disappoint in that area.

There is so much to interpret and read into with`Frankenstein’, however, that it would be a little sad to totally dismiss it. For it’s time, it was pretty shocking and I get a real kick out of things that gave a real kick to their current cultural expectations.

Crystal Erasmus says :

I love this novel. I especially love that it was written by a female author.

Bikram Sapkota says :

Yesterday, I read the book and I can definitely say that it is the exemplary story of an egomaniacal maker and a misconstrued posterity which is as significant today as past days prior.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171306377631030/k2311a0613/6.13.08