Across the Universe
  • The movie is directed by Julie Taymor, who I think is a genius

• by Malou

I first heard about this movie from Oprah when she featured it in her show and some of the cast members sang. It interested me because eventhough I’m not a big Beatles fan, I do love musicals. So I rented a DVD and watched it.

Anyway Oprah said its good and I pretty much believe every word she says (hehe). True enough, I loved

it.

The plot is quite common. The movie’s main character is Jude (Jim Sturgess from the movie 21), a young guy from Liverpool who goes to America to look for his father and make a new life for himself.

He meets Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood), a girl from Boston who sweeps him off his feet. They fall madly in love.

All these happen in the troubled times of the 1960’s during the Vietnam war. Some critics would say that it’s just a typical romantic movie but what’s so unique and fascinating about it is its being so visually exciting.

There were alot of scenes where it looked as if the characters were in a colorful dream. I haven’t seen anything like it.

The movie is long (about 2 ...

• Across the Universe
      hrs. ) but since it’s a musical and almost all the songs are familiar to me, I wasn’t bored at all.

It made me a Beatles fan and I just couldn’t stop singing for days after watching it. I especially love the “Strawberry Fields” scene and “I Am the Walrus” number featuring Bono.

The movie is directed by Julie Taymor, who I think is a

genius. All the actors gave strong performances but my favorite is Evan Rachel Wood.

Not only is she a good actress but she’s a good singer as well. I actually didn’t know that she could sing.

This is one movie that not only Beatles fans would love, but people who just want to be entertained and want to see something different. This is definitely the movie to watch.

Across the Universe

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111206376310230/k2311a0612/6.12.08