In Plain Sight (Pilot Episode)  » TV  »
  • The first episode was pretty good and I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it
  • I can usually tell within the first half of a pilot episode if the show is something I want to watch and I definitely want to keep watching this show

• by Jenn Eblin

In Plain Sight is this new show on USA that I wasn’t too sure about when I first heard about it. The show follows a US Marshall by the name of Mary Shannon and her partner. They actually work with those people that have been placed in the witness protection program, or at least those people that have been placed in the program in New Mexico. Actually it took me far too long to realize that was where the show was set, but only because they seem to have a lot of Latin American actors around. I actually thought the show was based in Miami until they explained that they were in Albuquerque.

The first episode was pretty good and I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Shannon and her partner are perfect together. She’s kind of sarcastic and off the wall, as is he but at the same time he seems to ground her when she’s about to go over board. In other shows you would assume that they were setting the two characters up to be love interests down the road, but that isn’t the case with this show. Instead they seem pretty content to be partners and sometimes friends. There was one cute scene where a dorky guy at the

office explains a present he bought her for her birthday. Her partner has to explain that Mary doesn’t wear perfume and that it’s a stupid gift. Considering that the guy clearly has a crush on her, you kind of feel bad.

I really liked the girl playing Mary Shannon. She’s tall, skinny, and blonde yet you still feel bad for her and want to root for her. She might be beautiful, but she’s also a complete mess. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they add a story later about an ex-husband who ruined her life. The character is pretty similar to Stephanie Plum of the Janet Evanovitch books so it seems like they should add that story line.

I also really like the plot of the show and the pilot episode did a great job of setting up the show. I can usually tell within the first half of a pilot episode if the show is something I want to watch and I definitely want to keep watching this show. It was absolutely phenomenal and I can’t wait to see what’s going to happen later. It does a really great job of combining action and comedy.

The only downside is that the promos for the show revealed a lot more than the pilot did. There’s ...

• an extra character played by Christian de la Fuenta who is apparently her boyfriend. In the pilot we only see him for a few minutes when he picks up her little sister, who later steals his car. From the promos we know that he’s going to cheat on her with her sister and also sleep with her mom. It made me hard to care about him or even pay attention to his character.

Here’s hoping that the show keeps up the same pace it set in the pilot.

ParagraphDivider

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101106375390930/k2311a0611/6.11.08