Minocycline antibiotic for acne (100 mg)  » Medicine  »
  • So my doctor had me begin a course of minocycline which was exactly what I needed to help me rid of the embarrassing and self-image destroying issue I've had since adolescence
  • It was so amazing to feel confident for once in my life, whereas before I felt ugly, and would try to hide behind my hair
  • Yes, I loved the minocycline, but there were a couple things I did experience (completely worth it in my opinion)
  • But I definitely did need the moisturizer to keep the skin from cracking too much, and to prevent bleeding

• by Melloje

After going through a course of doxcycline for my cystic and resistant acne, my acne began to eventually return. The doxycycline, being a less intense antibiotic, did not completely boot all the bacteria out of my system. So my doctor had me begin a course of minocycline which was exactly what I needed to help me rid of the embarrassing and self-image destroying issue I’ve had since adolescence. Like the doxycycline, my skin went through a phase of extreme dryness and flakiness. But afterwards, like a snake that sheds it skin, I was left

with a glowing and vibrant skin tone underneath. All the texture of larger pimples and those tiny little bumps containing impurities were gone. It was so amazing to feel confident for once in my life, whereas before I felt ugly, and would try to hide behind my hair. You never realize how much your life improves overall because of your complexion until you go through the tranformation. People subconsciously give preference to those with clear skin.

Side effects I experienced: Yes, I loved the minocycline, but there were a couple things I did experience (completely ...

• worth it in my opinion). Never take minocycline on an empty stomach. I did before, and was so nauseous and ended up throwing up, because my stomach could not handle the minocycline alone. Ok, lesson learned, duly noted.

Also, the extremely flaky skin initially. I looked like a snake shedding my skin before the process was complete. No matter how much moisturizer I put on, I couldn’t disguise/cover/blend it. This went on for a couple weeks I think. But I definitely did need the moisturizer to keep the skin from cracking too much, and

to prevent bleeding. But don’t go slabbing on a moisturizer with ingredients your not familiar with or mineral oil, or something of the like. You’re regular moisturizer should suffice and you don’t want to put something on that will break you out more (ie. mineral oil).

But again, the end results made the minor inconveniences soooo worth it for me. Also, on the upside, I didn’t have to resort to Accutane (which scares the living daylights out of me, because of the possible depression side effects)

Would have rated a 10 if not for the side effects, but otherwise….great!

Chris says :

The prescribe medicine says you should take it with empty stomache.. and I threw up too. painfully. What the heck are you suppose to eat with it then??

Galega says :

You are supposed to eat anything that you love after taking this medicine. Take meal one hour after taking this medicine.

You should swallow it with a full glass of water.

melloje says :

Personally, I found that pretty much anything that fills me up sufficiently. Carbohydrates are a good example, or stomach filling legumes, like garbanzo beans. I wish I knew why the directions say to take on empty stomach. It just doesn`t seem possible.

Galega says :

It is minocycline which forbids this medicine to be taken after eating something. It is better to stick with this simple direction.

Chris says :

i read it on wikipedia that if you take it with food it will affect the outcome of minocycline. And apparently milk is the only thing you can consume with it. but yeah I`m definitely not taking this with an empty stomach from now on

Galega says :

Taking it with a glass of water is recommended. I would suggest to eat something only after one hour of taking this medicine.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261106374880830/k2311a0611/6.11.08