Frontier(s) Movie  » Movies  »
2.0
  • Unfortunately one of the crew is shot and the others basically desert him except for one woman named Yasmine
  • At times it definitely seems like a rip off of Hostel and the characters actually end up in a hostel
  • I know that a lot of people really liked it, but it wasn't for me
  • I thought the main character was annoying and the woman playing her didn't seem very talented

• by Jenn Eblin

Frontier(s) is a movie that was part of the After Dark Horror Fest for the 2007 season. The movie itself was supposed to be released in the US, but the ratings board in our country decided that the film was so gory that it needed an NC-17 rating. That led to the movie being pulled from US theaters. While the other movies were released on DVD at the same time, this one ended up sitting on the backburner for several months before it was finally released on DVD. Now that I’ve had the chance to sit down and watch the movie, I’m left scratching my head.

This is a French film meaning that it has subtitles. I was hoping that they would use dubbing as they have with a lot of other foreign horror movies, but that wasn’t meant to be. The subtitles are very distracting and make the movie even more confusing. I had to read the subtitles to see what was going on and then rewind it

to see the action; that or I had to watch the action and then rewind the movie to find out what the characters said.

The movie actually starts out as something of an exciting heist movie. There’s a group of twenty-somethings who rob a bank and try to get away with the money. Unfortunately one of the crew is shot and the others basically desert him except for one woman named Yasmine. We later learn that he was her brother and she was previously involved with one of the robbers. Two of the men run off while she and her ex-boyfriend venture to the hospital. They arrive just in time to see her brother die and they then have to escape as well.

The first thirty minutes or so were pretty great, but then the movie veers off into very familiar territory. At times it definitely seems like a rip off of Hostel and the characters actually end up in a hostel. Apparently the hostel is run by a family and their “father” seems more like a refuge of Nazi Germany than any real original character.

Watching the movie, I kept waiting to see something so gory or gruesome that it would deserve an NC-17 rating, but I honestly couldn’t see anything. There was nothing in this movie that made me wince or want to cover my eyes, or even make me want to look away from the television screen. The gore seemed to be a minimum, especially when compared to other horror movies released in foreign locations first.

I had a very difficult time getting into this movie and I just couldn’t seem to enjoy it. I know that a lot of people really liked it, but it wasn’t for me. I thought the main character was annoying and the woman playing her didn’t seem very talented. The director and writer seemed to see Hostel a few too many times and decided to make their own version. I could have done without it.

...

• Frontier(s) Movie
      ParagraphDivider

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11906372741030/k2311a069/6.9.08