Sex Revolution on VH-1  » TV  »
  • There are so many more things that need to be discussed and I'm really hoping that they keep this going because I think it's valuable to people

• by Jenn Eblin

Sex: Revolution was a five part series airing on VH-1 that detailed the history of the sexual revolution in the United States starting in the 1950’s. I’m not exactly sure when the series first aired because I never heard of it before, but when they showed all five episodes back to back recently, I couldn’t help but get sucked into the stories told. Many of them were things I had heard about, but I’m too young to have experienced them for myself. The series actually ends with the late 1980’s when I was still a child and unaware of things like AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.

Watching the series is an eye opening thing and you really have to feel for the people and

what they experienced. One woman talks of how the 1980’s ushered in a new generation of women with breast implants who used their sexuality to get ahead in the world. She then compares that to her own mother’s generation who couldn’t even open a bank account or get a credit card without first obtaining their husband or father’s signature. It really makes you think.

In the 1950’s women were second class citizens and the series makes it clear that this way of thinking continued for a long time. Hugh Hefner was just coming up in the world with a little magazine called Playboy, which featured a then unknown Marilyn Monroe on the cover. Seeing her curves on the cover of that magazine made me realize that ...

• she’d never make the cover today. Today all of those models are stick thin without a single ounce of fat on their body. Yet Marilyn is far more beautiful in my eyes.

I was also interested in how the Playboy clubs grew to prominence, though I was hoping to see more about how they fell out of favor. The series mentioned the clubs in a couple of episodes, but never mentioned that they all shut down. I’m assuming that at some point women just started refusing to work there. They also neglected to mention the rise in strip clubs. Women were too good to dress up like a bunny, but could get naked in front of the same men for a little more money. That

really made me think.

I also loved the celebrities they encouraged to speak and get involved in the series. These are people who actually lived and experienced everything during the time period and there they are giving us the inside about how they felt. From the heyday of Studio 64 to the AIDS epidemic that swept the country, they covered it all.

I’m hoping that they do a follow up to this series that talks a little more about my generation and what we did to influence the sexual revolution because the series missed out on that as well as the next generation. There are so many more things that need to be discussed and I’m really hoping that they keep this going because I think it’s valuable to people.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 10906372421030/k2311a069/6.9.08