Bay Bridge EZ-Pass
1.5
Bay Bridge, Maryland
  • Little did I know I was in the calm before the storm
  • This would be my second time of using the pass so I decided to go through the station that accepted EZ Pass Only vehicles
  • And you certainly can't stop to take your time and figure things out because a posse of rushed individuals are basically on your bumper waiting for the one second that they can beep their horn to remind you of how stupid you are for not knowing the rules (get the feeling that have enjoyed my purchase so far
  • So far the entire experience has been very convenient, don't you think
  • Their good experience can only improve the quality of my existence

• by kenatra

The “Bay Bridge EZ-Pass” is anything but EZ for some of us.

I made the mother of mistakes, when I chose the convenience of purchasing my pass from my local Giant. My downhill spiral began when I asked the Customer Service Rep?!? some general questions about the pass. She told me that everything I needed to know was in the package, and then proceeded to tell me that I have up to 15 trips or $15 used credit (which were the same thing at $1 per trip) before I needed to register my pass membership and vehicle details.

I was amazed at the level of convenience when I left the Giant, feeling like it was my lucky day. I was able to use the pass the same day and when I went through the toll booth, the pass was recognized and I went about my day. Little did I know I was in the calm before the storm.

It’s no coincidence that it started to rain the next day. This would be my second time of using the pass so I decided to go through the station that accepted “EZ Pass Only” vehicles. Going through this lane is a little like entering a country illegally. When it’s your turn to pass, you enter with caution and a touch of nerves because you never really know what’s going to happen when you get to the gate. Plus it doesn’t clearly state the rules (just like the EZ

Pass); you don’t know whether to drive right on through or come to a stop to assure that the pass is approved.

This particular toll booth I am referring to is on the Bay Bridge. Since it is a pass only booth, there is no “Toll Booth Operator”. And you certainly can’t stop to take your time and figure things out because a posse of rushed individuals are basically on your bumper waiting for the one second that they can beep their horn to remind you of how stupid you are for not knowing the rules (get the feeling that have enjoyed my purchase so far?). Anyhow, I proceeded with caution only to hear the dreaded horn buzz like I was the very same illegal alien I felt like prior to getting in the lane.

I had no choice but to drive right on through. I then spent my entire trip on the bridge wondering and worrying about my fate as to the size of violation I would be gifted with, instead of enjoying the ride and gazing at the beautiful Eastern Shore. This meant the pass I could just spent $25 for worked 1 time and now I had to deal with a violation and phone call to God knows who. And it happened to be late Friday afternoon which meant not only would no one be there to handle my call, but the rest of the weekend I would have to either ...

• pay full price for the toll or face another violation each trip until Monday.

This was confirmed by a sales rep at the EZ Pass Hot line on Monday. She confirmed that I would have to take the EZ Pass to center and have it checked to verify that it was reading correctly. So far the entire experience has been very convenient, don’t you think? She also informed me that I was supposed to have registered it immediately after my first trip which I can thank the employee at Giant for; way to go Giant!!! Plus I can thank the toll booth operators on the Saturday and Sunday before for putting the fear of God in me that I would be getting violations if I didn’t pay full price at the booth while my pass wasn’t working properly.

Anyhow, I finally got through to Monday and took the pass to a center where I was told that the pass was working properly and reminded that I needed to place the pass directly under the rear view mirror exactly two inches below it. I was also informed that I would need to copy my receipts for the days in question that I paid full price and request to get my account balance adjusted and credited for the days I should have only been charged $1. I was also informed at the center that as long as my tag was registered, I wouldn’t be fined because the

system would match the picture of my license (that was taken at the “EZ Pass Only” lane) to the license on my registration.

All of this EZness in 1 weeks time. I can only imagine what others are going through. The bottom line is that the system is poorly advertised. No one should go through a week of what I endured. If you are going to allow the public to purchase a pass anyplace other than the offices where the over-priced already paid for toll bridge exists, then those places should have adequate physical pamphlets on the outside of the container that the customer can view prior to purchasing. You can’t count on instructions being in the container (mine contained no instructions). The employees at the toll booth should know the program very well and not offer mixed advice (several of my days of frustration were from their general lack of knowledge). And finally, a paying customer should not have to jump so many hoops to have their established account adjusted. I paid for an EZ service and ended up with nothing but hassles. Not good business in my eyes.

My hopes are that the process of the EZ pass improves to live up to its name. Let’s take my lemons and turn them into lemonade for someone else. Hopefully my experience will educate someone else on the process and offer them a better experience. Their good experience can only improve the quality of my existence.

Cheers to all!!!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 25606370030930/k2311a066/6.6.08