Berkeley Castle  » Travel  »
Berkeley Castle, Berkeley Gloucestershire GL13 9BQ
  • My husband and I love history and love to go around old castles and stately homes
  • As well as the butterflies we also got to see the world's largest moth, which scared Kurt a little bit, but my husband and I found it fascinating
  • We would thoroughly recommend this place to everyone who likes old buildings and British history at its best

• by Lyndsey

My husband and I love history and love to go around old castles and stately homes. So recently we took our two young children of to visit Berkley Castle and we all had such a great time. Berkeley Castle is just of the A38 about midway between Bristol and Gloucester. When we got there we found that they have ample car parking facilities, which is good, as you really do have to get there by car.

The entrance fee is quite reasonable at adults £7.50, children under 16 £4.50 and concessions at £6.00.

We started our day out in the butterfly house and

plant centre; there were many different exotic species of butterflies flying around in a beautiful tropical Oasis it felt so tranquil just walking round watching these butterflies fluttering. As well as the butterflies we also got to see the world’s largest moth, which scared Kurt a little bit, but my husband and I found it fascinating. They were also loads of really exotic and unusual plants to be found there as well, plants we don’t normally get to see in the country, which was great.

Next we moved on to the castle itself. We learned so much about the history of ...

• the castle, such as it is the oldest castle in Great Britain to be lived in by the same family. They have lived there for over nine hundred years. They having loving looked after the castle keeping its history intact. The artefacts within the castle have been very well preserved for everyone to see. The castle is where Edward II was murdered and all the Barons from the west gathered before signing the Magna Carta. Queen Elizabeth I used to go hunting on the estate here and also played bowls here.

We had lunch in the wonderful old tearooms, which was

really nice. Then on our way out we bought a souvenir from the gift shop for the kids to remember our great day out.

We would thoroughly recommend this place to everyone who likes old buildings and British history at its best. We found it a real pleasure to walk around the castle. As well as the castle there are different events that are held throughout the year. We are going to go make for the medieval Berkeley Skirmish event on the 26th and 27th July, there should be jousting, archery and even battles which should be great fun we can’t wait.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38306368291230/k2311a063/6.3.08