XM Radio Service  » Media  »
  • The cost is very minimal per month that way - about $12.50
  • One great aspect of having an XM radio is that it has helped my husband avoid traffic

• by PinchingAbe

About two years ago, I received an XM Roady as a sweepstakes win. With it came 3 free months of service, so we figured we would give it a try. We initially debated as to who would get the coveted Roady, and since my husband travels more for work vs. me staying at home, it was clear that the Roady would get more use if it was in his car.

After the initial 3 months came, we immediately renewed. XM offered a package where if you paid a year at a time, you get a discount for 1/12 of the total price. The cost is very minimal per month that

way - about $12.50.

One great aspect of having an XM radio is that it has helped my husband avoid traffic. Since he travels to DC quite a lot, he turns the traffic channels on and then decides on his route. If he hears of an accident, then he usually knows enough in advance to plan an alternate route around the accident. Once while traveling, we heard about an accident in an unfamiliar area and were able to call someone who was able to navigate us around it. If we didn’t have advance notice of the accident, we would likely have sat in traffic for a long time, adding ...

• a lot of time to our trip.

Our area gets somewhat bad reception for some of his favorite programming - that being NPR. The XM allows him to listen to his talk radio people without having his signal fade out. We also receive a Disney music channel, so there is always something appropriate to turn the channel to when we are traveling.

One slight draw back is that sometimes the signal will fade out when we travel heavily treed roads. The fade out is very quick, though, and the signal returns almost immediately.

Another great feature of the XM Satellite radio subscription is that we were able to sign up online to be

able to listen to our XM at home via our computer. We realize that there are adapters so that you can listen to your XM unit in your house, but the computer option was free. Now, if I feel like listening to French Folk music, I can log in and listen. I have played Spanish music for one of my Spanish speaking friends while she was over for a visit.

All in all, we love our XM Satellite radio. We use it daily and do not feel that it is a waste of money. It is cheaper to pay for a full year subscription, though, and that is something to be considered.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 392905363340131/k2311a0529/5.29.08