Technics RS-TR333 Stereo Double Cassette Deck  » Electronics  »
  • I had previous good, reliable performance from the Technics brand in the past and this drew me to definitely include this brand in my shopping experience
  • The adjustable bias setting which allows one to optimize the recording bias for a particular brand and type of blank tape so as to extract the best performance in frequency response and dynamic range from any tape medium was very useful
  • I was able to enhance the recording performance from tapes that previously I thought unusable for quality recordings

• by dartman

I have owned this cassette deck for several years and am very happy with its performance. I will discuss the factors and features that appealed to me at the time of purchase. I had previous good, reliable performance from the Technics brand in the past and this drew me to definitely include this brand in my shopping experience. Being a bit particular about my equipment, many of the features that this deck sported were of particular interest to me and were features I desired.

best performance in frequency response and dynamic range from any tape medium was very useful. I was able to enhance the recording performance from tapes that previously I thought unusable for quality recordings. The synchro start which allows one to start the recording and playback decks at the same time and makes co-ordinated music transfer simple for the user was very much appreciated also. I also liked the fact that by using the auto reverse on both the playback deck and the record/playback deck with a 90 minute tape in each side, I could listen to three hours of almost uninterrupted music. Of course, Dolby B noise reduction is a ...

• pretty standard feature on most similar decks but this unit has Dolby C as well, providing a superior noise-reduction method. As I was interested in making the best recordings possible, the peak-reading meters allowed me to make more accurate adjustments to recording levels so as to not saturate the tape’s capability and thereby minimize distortion.

Although I did use the 2x speed dubbing for quick and dirty transfers, I did not use this feature much for music as the quality of the copy suffered somewhat although it is reasonable considering the 50% saving in time. The last significant feature is something called Dolby HX Pro which automatically reduces the

bias signal in the presence of strong high frequency signals. This reduces distortion caused from saturation of the tape and increases the high frequency dynamic range. The net effect for a listener is crisper high frequency reproduction. I must say that I also liked the music search buttons for finding selections. The appearance of the unit is somewhat professional being finished in satin charcoal on metal. The deck has one headphone output jack but no microphone inputs for live recording. This was the only other feature I would have liked to see but with all of the other excellent features, I knew that this solid feeling and reliable performing deck was for me.

Recommended.

Lisa says :

Hi, I wonder if you would be kind enough to help me with a problem I have with this model of Panasonic stereo. I`m trying to record from one cassette to the other to make a copy of a tape and it`s so long since I`ve done this, I`ve forgotten what I have to do. I`ve also lost the user manual and can`t find one that I can download online. I`d be really grateful if you could write me a quick email with instructions on how to make a copy of a cassette tape. Best wishes, Lisa

John says :

Lisa, here in a link to the online manual, which includes these instructions:

01782 722487 says :

deck 1 keeps switching off and wont play at all and deck 2 will play for a short time but it keeps turning off as well.

John says :

When the decks stop working, one of the few things that you can do is clean them. Of course try multiple tapes. If issues persists the decks are likely to be faulty.

Dartman replies :

Some tapes (any tape medium, be it VHS, cassette or 8 mm) especially if they have not been used for a long time, will sometimes become difficult to “reel” with the deck. This is also true for lower cost tapes or those that have a worn-out transport system. The friction that the deck needs to overcome to drag the tape past the heads is too high and the deck “thinks” that the tape has come to the end. If one suspects this, then try to reel the tape (out of the machine) using a pencil or similar device. If this is difficult to do and the tape does not move freely, then one could put the cassette into the machine and try to rewind or fast forward the tape all the way through to the end. This will adjust the tension of the wound tape to that of the machine, and playing should be possible. If this is not successful and the material on the tape in not replaceable, then disassembling the cassette and replacing the flat, plastic “bearing” surfaces with new ones from another fresh cassette will usually work although this is a little tricky and requires cassettes that are put together with screws rather than glue.

Erik Hughes says :

Hello. I too purchased a Technics stereo system years ago in the Army `97 and found the dual cassette player HX Pro to be outstanding. I still have the original RS TR373 with about a million hours of use so I recently bought another HX Pro TR333 on Ebay that`s in excellent condition…like it just came off the assembly line. I was wondering if you could tell me which model is newer? I am going to give one of them to a friend who`s house burned down and lost everything a couple years back. So I have to make a tough decision and give one away. Any advice on which one is worth holding on too? thanks much. Sincerely Erik.

John says :

The TR373 is the newer model between the two.

Rob Farmer says :

How much is was the RS-TR333 brand new?

cryonix says :

I bout the Technics RS-TR333 FOR 249.99 in 1993 I also bought the GA-SX303 surround sound tune for 299.99 and a 5 disc cd turntable SL-PD607 for 299.99 I also bought two Yamaha 24 inch 3-way speakers for 149.99 each. my system still works great except one speaker has gone out thanks to my cat using it as a scratching post, he nailed the woofer. The best purchase and the only items from my 1990`s shopping forey that I still have. best 1000 I`ve ever spent.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 162705361720231/k2311a0527/5.27.08