Shedd Aquarium Chicago IL  » Travel  »
2.5
Chicago, IL
  • There are various exhibits, like the Caribbean Reef Exhibit, but some are more interesting than others
  • In my opinion they were already charging excessive fees just to walk into the building, so I was not about to pay them even more
  • Even if they do not want to lower the admission price, I think that all the exhibits and shows should be open to the public for the same basic admission price
  • I enjoyed all of exhibits that I was able to see, but my favorite was the Amazon Rising Exhibit

• by Kent Douglass

My visit to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago,IL gave me a big shock right off the bat. That was caused when I saw the ticket price. I could not believe it. I was there with a group of fifteen people, and when I purchased the tickets for all of us I felt like I was paying off the national debt.

I was not sure what to expect from the aquarium. Perhaps it was all the hype I heard

from various people in Chicago, but I was expecting more than I got. I do not want to say that it was not worth making a trip to see, I just did not think that it was as great an exhibit as I had been led to believe.

There are various exhibits, like the Caribbean Reef Exhibit, but some are more interesting than others. The Caribbean Reef Exhibit is most interesting if you get there while a diver is in the water feeding the sea creatures. The diver talks to the members of the audience and answers questions. It was the question and answer session that made it especially interesting for me.

I skipped the Wild Reef Exhibit and the marine mammal show. I was already upset by the excessive admission price, and they wanted me to pay extra to get into those two things. In my opinion they were already charging excessive fees just to walk ...

• Shedd Aquarium Chicago IL
      into the building, so I was not about to pay them even more. Even if they do not want to lower the admission price, I think that all the exhibits and shows should be open to the public for the same basic admission price. Although I did not see the ocean mammal presentation, I heard others talking about it and they all seemed to enjoy it.

I enjoyed all of exhibits that I was able to see, but my

favorite was the Amazon Rising Exhibit. A couple of tanks looked like they hadn’t been cleaned in weeks, making it hard to see the animals clearly, but the crowd of people was smaller and I didn’t feel like I was being pushed along. I was able to take my time and relax a little more there.

If you don’t mind the excessive price, you will probably enjoy the visit. Just don’t let the pre-hype give you too great an expectation.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382605361430131/k2311a0526/5.26.08