The Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper By Martin Fido
  • Martin Fido creates and interesting title and it begs to be read
  • The problem is that I have not been totally convinced by the evidence that Fido presents
  • From everything I have read beyond this book, I too agree there are 6 victims
  • But I felt something was missing from the book but unfortunately I can't explain what
  • You'll enjoy it if you have experience with the Ripper

• by Rand A. Scott

Martin Fido creates and interesting title and it begs to be read. Within the 231 pages of the book Fido looks at the victims and some of the suspects. He does not go into as much detail as the Donald Rumbelow book JTR The Complete Casebook. Keep in mind though that providing depth is not what this book is about.

What the book does and does well is lay out

a case for one person as being good ol’ Jack. I won’t reveal his choice here, read the book yourself, but it is an interesting one. The problem is that I have not been totally convinced by the evidence that Fido presents.

Fido brings to the forefront another possible Ripper victim. There have been as many as 12 20 potential victims, depending on who you listen to. Most ripperologists ...

• say there are but 5 victims. Fido presents an argument for a 6th. This is not a new name but a new examination of some old evidence. From everything I have read beyond this book, I too agree there are 6 victims. If we look deeper into the evidence we might just find another victim, but I am not naming names because there is not enough evidence.

This book is fine

for what it is and Martin Fido knows his Ripper stuff. But I felt something was missing from the book but unfortunately I can’t explain what. Yet there is something missing.

The Crimes, Detection and Death of JTR is not a great book for a newcomer to the whole Jack story but it is what it is and that’s not a bad book. You’ll enjoy it if you have experience with the Ripper.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172605361400131/k2311a0526/5.26.08