Sony W55 7.0 Camera  » Cameras  »
  • It is a huge improvement over my previous camera (a 5.0 megapixel Fuji which I bought in 2005)
  • Photos taken with the flash off seem to be a little blurry, but taking them without the flash is the best way to get a short lag time
  • My next digital camera purchase will definitely be a Sony

• by DanielleIvy

I have owned the Sony W55 digital camera for almost a year now and I am loving it. It is a huge improvement over my previous camera (a 5.0 megapixel Fuji which I bought in 2005). The Sony is 7 megapixels and takes absolutely beautiful pictures. I typically take photos on the highest megapixel setting, but you can also take them at lower settings and get beautiful pictures. The lowest I have taken photos on is 3.0 megapixels and these were still very clear, not blurry, and beautiful pictures.

I typically take photos on the auto settings. This seems to work

very well, except for the extremely long lag time (I discuss this in more detail below). I have also taken photos on the programmable automatic setting. Video seems to work well too. I have taken several videos of my daughter and are happier with these than I am with the ones I take on my DVD-camcorder. Photos taken with the flash off seem to be a little blurry, but taking them without the flash is the best way to get a short lag time. I try to take no-flash photos when my daughter is smiling so she doesn’t stop before I take the picture.

• Viewing the photos is very easy: you just press the play button and arrow through them.

I only have two complaints: the lag time between pressing the “shoot” button and the actual capture of the photo, as well as the optical zoom. Sony advertised a very lag time, but I have found it to be several seconds longer (when used with a flash and other auto settings) than advertised. I wish it was shorter because when I try to take pictures of my daughter she often becomes frightened by the long flash and then the whole picture is ruined. The supposedly short lag time

was the primary reason I purchased this camera. The long lag time on my Fuji was the primary reason I replaced it. 3x optical zoom is not very much, but that seems to be fairly standard for a “normal” digital camera (one not designed for professionals). If you want a photo more close-up, then you need to use the digital zoom (4x). I have found this to be a very helpful feature and frequently use it to get extreme close-ups of my daughters hands, feet, and facial features.

Overall, I am very happy with this camera. My next digital camera purchase will definitely be a Sony.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 431805355460831/k2311a0518/5.18.08