Melaka Malaysia  » Travel  »
Malaysia
  • This can easily cost you two hours of your leisurely time
  • This only shows that how popular the place is among locals and foreigners as I notice quite a handful of foreigners stuck in the miles of cars in front of me
  • You might ask what is so interesting about an ancient city
  • It sure is a breathtaking view of Melaka one can experience on top of this hill
  • Unfortunately there is nothing to pride about as the beach is so polluted

• by Porcupine

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

Melaka is known for its historical prominence and its rich cultural appeal.It is the only city in Malaysia that was ruled by the Portuguese, Dutch and the British until 1957.Hence, if you are looking for treasures of the various colonists, you can find them in abundance in the old antiques here.

The bad thing about visiting Melaka during the Chinese New Year which fell in February was the long traffic jams one have to endured from the highway to the city center.This can easily cost you two hours of your leisurely time. I was a bit regretful and frustrated by the miles of cars lining up the road leading to Melaka.

This only shows that how popular the place is among locals and foreigners as I notice quite a handful of foreigners stuck in the miles of cars in front of me.

You might ask what is so interesting about an ancient city? Well, if you like historical ruins and artifacts, here is the place to be. We visited St Paul’s Church where St. Francis Xavier was buried here before his body was transferred to India. It sure is a breathtaking view of Melaka one can experience on top of this hill.The ruins of the church houses various guitarists, artists and souvenir stalls who are there to make a living from the ...

• tourists including us. The drawings sold is really magnificent,they looks so real.I think those artists can open a art gallery in oversea.

Hang Li Po’s well has a reputation as a wishing well.We saw a lot of coins lying at the bottom of the well. Why not throw some coins; with cents, you can make your coveted million dollars dream comes true.I am going to throw as much coins as I brought.

By the way, we didn’t miss the Maritime Museum which is a replica of a Portuguese vessel. After paying our way into the air conditioner museum, we enjoyed browsing the endless numbers of ship models, authentic maps

,old iron chests and charts.From the “ship museum”, we cast our sight on the beach of Melaka. Unfortunately there is nothing to pride about as the beach is so polluted!

Another interesting place in Melaka is the St. John’s Fort built by the Portuguese. The interesting feature of this fort is its cannons are facing inland as during the time of attacks the enemies came from inland instead of from the sea.

Well,with so many places to historical places to visit in Melaka plus the mouth water local dishes, I would give it an 8.

Melaka Malaysia

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381005352311131/k2311a0510/5.10.08