Masters of Horror: The Black Cat  » Movies  »
  • Though it was directed by Stuart Gordon, I ended up feeling really disappointed by this one, but I'm not exactly sure why
  • I think the main problem here is that the overall movie doesn't actually make sense

• by Jenn Eblin

The Black Cat is partially fact based, but mainly based on fiction. Though it was directed by Stuart Gordon, I ended up feeling really disappointed by this one, but I’m not exactly sure why.

The color palate of the film is very dark, but since it is set in the late

19th century, it should feel really dark.

The acting is quite good too, with Jeffrey Combs doing a great job of bringing Edgar Allen Poe to life.

I think the main problem here is that the overall movie doesn’t actually make sense.

Poe is shown with his much younger wife Sissy,

• who also happens to be his cousin.

We learn that he is a severe drunk, and that his young wife is dying.

Since he has no money and no way to support her, she can’t receive the treatment she needs.

They share a black cat, and in his drunken state Poe

begins to think the cat is possessed.

I have no clue if the cat is truly possessed or if we’re supposed to believe this is all a figment of his imagination.

In the end though, we get a happy ending.

It just seems to take forever to get to that happy ending.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11805350110131/k2311a058/5.8.08