Borderland (UR, 2007) movie  » Movies  »
  • I thought I had seen just about all the slasher films that were going to be good in 2008
  • Anyway, after I found out that this movie was based on real killings, I decided to watch the extras footage

• by Famous

I thought I had seen just about all the slasher films that were going to be good in 2008. I will confess that the 8 Films to Die For series has left me cold on a few occasions. However this film had me intrigued from the very minute.

And it was not until afterwards that I realized that this story is based on true events. In 1989, Mark Kilroy,

a college student, went missing in Mexico.

His disappearance was linked to a cocaine smuggling ring in which the participants were all Brujeria practicing cult members. If you have never heard of Santeria or Brujeria, simply watch the 80’s film “The Believers” and you will understand the differences between the two.

All in all, this film was a sort of reenactment based on Kilroy’s death and mutilation.

• In a nutshell, a “padrino” (or godfather) who was running the cult was sacrificing Americans that crossed the border.

This area is known for not really being asociated with Mexico, or with Texas. In any event, this film was really well done.

While you’re watching it, you get the sense that it’s fictional simply because so many films are centered around college kids going on vacation somewhere.

But once you realize that this stuff is true, the story becomes that much more chilling.

Anyway, after I found out that this movie was based on real killings, I decided to watch the extras footage. There, scenes from the 1989 unearthing of bodies is shown.

This is perhaps more chilling than the movie itself. If you like horror, and especially true crime—you simply MUST rent this film.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11605347880731/k2311a056/5.6.08